OK Soda Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

OK Soda

2 Conversations

OK Soda was an experiment in quirky advertising from none other than the Coca Cola company. The 'Unique Fruity Soda,' as it was called, was issued in 1994 in only a few regions throughout the United States. It apparently sold poorly, however, and production of OK Soda was discontinued after less than a year.

Tasting a bit like Coke mixed with orange crush, OK had a remarkable effect on those who came in contact with it. The marketing strategy was like none other, and it managed to touch the hearts of many of the sorts of people who are touched by things like the quirky, almost subversive marketing strategy of an obscure beverage. The soda embraced a certain degree of slacker angst, depicting images of depressed-looking folks on its cans and packaging.

OK also proclaimed its mission statement with a set of ten rules called the OK Manifesto. Some people may be surprised by how many of the rules in the manifesto and the insightful statements in the Personality Inventory can be applied to real-life situations. Others have probably taken this whole OK Soda thing way too far and used these rules to guide their way of thinking.

The 10 Point OK Manifesto

  1. What's the point of OK? Well, what's the point of anything?

  2. OK Soda emphatically rejects anything that is not OK, and fully supports anything that is.

  3. The better you understand something, the more OK it turns out to be.

  4. OK Soda says: Don't be fooled into thinking there has to be a reason for everything.

  5. OK Soda reveals the surprising truth about people and situations.

  6. OK Soda does not subscribe to any religion or endorse any political party - or do anything, other than feel OK.

  7. There is no real secret to feeling OK1.

  8. OK Soda may be the preferred drink of other people such as yourself.

  9. Never overestimate the remarkable abilities of OK.

  10. Please wake up every morning knowing that things are going to be OK.

1-800-I-FEEL-OK

OK also offered a toll-free telephone number to call where one could listen to a number of amusing options, from coincidences involving cans of OK (eg someone who goes to bed with a full can under their pillow, dreams about OK Soda, and awakens in the morning with the still-unopened can now empty) to '30 seconds of amazingly lifelike bird whistles' delivered by a monotone-voiced narrator in hilarious deadpan.

Another option was the OK Soda Personality Inventory (see below).

The OK Soda Personality Inventory

Callers to the OK phone number were asked to respond with either true or false to five randomly-selected statements from a list of questions, many of which do not seem to lend themselves to a simple true/false answer.

1Attributed to OK Soda, 1998.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A596432

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more