A Conversation for Oboes

Thank you

Post 1

Kes

Thank you, Elly & Gnomon, for an informative and highly readable piece. I liked your selection of examples of music. My younger daughter played the oboe for a while ... I would have to agree with your descriptions of insanity, fainting and reed stress! smiley - biggrin.

Than you again - a lovely read!


Thank you

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

You're welcome. Elly did all the work. I just tidied it up a bit and provided a few sentences.


Thank you

Post 3

Hathornefer (ACE) Near miss - isnt that what you'd call a hit

New to H2G2 today and am slowly finding my way around. I guess it is fair to say I stumbled my way here, but thought it was a thoroughly good 'reed' when I arrived.

I played the oboe in my youth and now I look back on it - your player description is probably not far from how I would describe me at the time! Scary. Perhaps things have changed since my youth but I think things like the fainting thing should be pointed out to beginners. Another problem is not paying attention and missing your mouth (childhood coordination thing perhaps) - dang those reeds were painfull and dangerous.

Thanks for the interesting read though.


Thank you

Post 4

ssbookworm12488

thanks for a very interesting and easy to understand article.

I play the Oboe myself, and i have always thought it a shame that many people have no idea what the Oboe is. I have to explain what the oboe is to many people who after telling them what instrument i play say, "What's that?". In future i will just refer them to this article, as it explains the oboe alot better than i ever can.

I have never had the experiance of fainting when playing (or trying to play the oboe) as i would stop if i started to get light headed, which was usually only in a room that had no verntilation, like a basement where i had oboe lessons at one stage.

thanks again

P.S i agree with Cimorosa being a brilliant Oboe piece, though i also think that Romance and Humouresque (cant remember spelling) by Carl Neilson are brilliant too.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more