A Conversation for British Touring Bicycles

bags and saddles

Post 1

HipSupport

I ride a touring /commuting bike- a lovely Thorn Brevet. I quite agree about the Brooks B17. I remember having a Brooks on one of my bikes when I was in my teens (a long time ago!) which prompted me to have one on this bike, and after a good few hundred miles it's "me" shaped. I have a bit of a bag fetish in the quest to prove people wrong when they say "can you take (x) to (y) - oh no you can't can you ,you ride a bike". So I have a big set of rear panniers (Carradice Overlanders) a Junior saddlebag, but at the moment just use an excellent courier bag by Karrimor.


bags and saddles

Post 2

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

There's not much you can't transport by bike if you put your mind to it - some guy in the States transports a full-size Indian-style canoe on his smiley - smiley


bags and saddles

Post 3

HipSupport

on my Marin mtb the most in bulk I carried was 6 large packs of polystyrene ceiling tiles, the heaviest was a large bag of sand cement- but i had great momentum that day!!!


bags and saddles

Post 4

trgz

Just about to buy my 3rd small bike-bag and this time I'm going to buy a Super-C racktop. I've had others (including Karrimor) and they just don't last, invariably the zips go, and I've never been able to fault my SuperC big saddlebag (though it doesn't lend itself to quick-release) & rear panniers - dead waterproof; landed my old Holdsworth in a river once (see article A346628 for clues) completely submerged it and there was barely a drop in the saddlebag when I pulled the bike out out - brilliant!

Got the Brooks Pro (on my Thorn Audax - great builder, really seemed to care about what's right for you) and I'm still not 100% sure even though I did do a 200k (can't face the thought of training for anything longer!) without major grumbles; might go for a male Terrys one day. The classic Rolls is ok, but I think my problem is that I don't get out of the saddle enough.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more