A Conversation for Networking Your Home

File Backup by tape streamer

Post 1

Zak T Duck

Although still around, tape streamers are becoming more and more redundant and ditched for more file access friendly alternatives like Removeable hard drives, CD-R/RW and more recently, DVD-R/RW drives.


File Backup by tape streamer

Post 2

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Nothing redundant about my 8GB DAT


File Backup by tape streamer

Post 3

takbrn

Is it possible in any way to back up to a tape using an audio cable connected from my sound card to an old tape deck? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

TAKBRN


File Backup by tape streamer

Post 4

Zak T Duck

I've not heard or seen this done since the good old days of the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64, where programs could be read in and saved to ordinary audio tape. Not sure if you can do the same now for PCs as the capacity of audio tape probably isn't big enough, they are easily damaged (speaking from experience of my speccy days), and whether or not the software to let you do this even exists.


File Backup by tape streamer

Post 5

takbrn

Oh well. I didn't think it was that likely to be possible, but I was just wondering. Thanks anyway.

TAKBRN


File Backup by tape streamer

Post 6

Zak T Duck

If it is possible, there might be something on google.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more