A Conversation for Bram Stoker - Author

Psycho-sexual...

Post 1

DoctorGonzo

Regarding Dracula.

You dismissed the sexual aspects of the text in quite a hurry, but I found the evidence pretty compelling. Several times in the book, there are accounts of bodies being penetrated, whether it be teeth into a neck, or a stake into a body. It was written in very conservative times, when sex was something hidden, something private - so the count, who could be taken as a metaphor for someone who succumbs to sexual desire, is not only portrayed as a depraved monster, he is something to be destroyed. I've heard of a few other interpretations that can also be made, such as the count represents old superstitions, and the heroes represent science and new technology (the medical doctor, the use of gramaphones, trains etc).

There's probably room for an article on Dracula alone smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers

DG


Psycho-sexual...

Post 2

Volund

I was interested by your posting in response to the entry on Stoker. My A-Level English Literature Dissertation was on the psycho-sexual implications of Vampire literature, including "Dracula" and "Carmilla" that the author of the Stoker posting mentions. I'm going to dig it out and submit it for the guide, just as soon as I can convert it to plain text and re-format it. Anyway, just thought you might be interested to look out for it.

Volund


Psycho-sexual...

Post 3

Bruce from the University of Woolloomooloo

I read a rather good book on the whole Dracula thing ('The Dracula Reader' or the like). About half refered specifically to the historical figure of Vlad the Impaler (Family motto: Would you like fries with that stake?), the rest on the Stoker legacy.

In sexual terms, the vampire is a true parasite - immortal, but unable to reproduce except by means of an 'copulatory' form of oral sex (that is actually feeding). Way kinky!


Psycho-sexual...

Post 4

Bruce from the University of Woolloomooloo

I read a rather good book on the whole Dracula thing ('The Dracula Reader' or the like). About half refered specifically to the historical figure of Vlad the Impaler (Family motto: Would you like fries with that stake?), the rest on the Stoker legacy.

In sexual terms, the vampire is a true parasite - immortal, but unable to reproduce except by means of an 'copulatory' form of oral sex (that is actually feeding). Way kinky!


Psycho-sexual...

Post 5

orangerocket

Dracula is full of sexual inuendo....

•Lucy and Mina obviously had a bit of a lesbian thing going on. The nights can be cold and long in Whitby.

•Jonathan had a very good time with the three women in Dracula's Castle, but wrote cleverly in his diary to discuise to Mina the fact that he'd had a bit of a fling before his imminent marriage.

•Lucy's four proposals of marriage from past lovers(?) On top of her relationship with Mina and her 'thing' with Dracula himself.

Dracula is a fantastic piece of Victorian erotic literature!


Hypnotherapy

Post 6

Bunny

I am studying Hypnoanalysis and psychotherapy and would welcome any information on NLP and it's relation to Hypnosis. IS there research on Hypnotherapy and migraine relief? How exactly does Hypnosis work in pain relief and blood clotting? What is the big difference between Stage Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy? Thank you


Psycho-sexual...

Post 7

Bunny

Thank you for this information. Is it possible to read your A-level essay. I feel it would be applicable to my question on the sexual nature of Bram Stoker's personality.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more