A Conversation for Paradox

Comment-on: A581096's Lying-Cretan-Paradox

Post 1

EliudGonzalezNunez

-

1 ----- The example used for "The-Lying-Cretan paradox" appears to me to be incorrectly-researched.






2 ----- Here's the full-text of the example's-source, which is incompletely quoted in "Paradox":




----- ----- "One of them, a prophet of their own, said, 'Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons' This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,"




----- ----- My source for the above is Paul's Epistle to Titus, 1:12-13, New Testament, Psalms Proverbs, by The Gideons International, 2900 Lebanon Road, Nashville, Tennesee, 37214.






3 ----- This does not even qualify as A-FAKE-PARDOX, because it is Paul's voice which is doing the speaking. Paul is writing this to Titus, and Paul was neither a-Cretan, nor a-Cretin. Paul is claiming that "a Cretan said Cretans are all liars". Paul is speaking outside of Paul's-sub-quoted "Cretan-ID".






4 ----- The context is that Paul is claiming "A CRETAN SAID CRETANS ARE ALL LIARS".






5 ----- In order to see A-PARADOX, the reader has to ignore Paul and concentrate on "THE CRETAN"; thereby concurrently-assuming both "TRUTH-AND-FALSENESS" within the Cretan's statement.






6 ----- Only Cretins allow themselves to ignore CONTEXT when analyzing CRETANS. The context of the phrase "THIS TESTIMONY is true...", can just as easily be referring to Paul's testimony to Titus about "CRETANS". Paul could be saying "My testimony about what this-cretan said is true, therefore, ...".






7 ----- And so, therefrom, no-verbal-paradox can be claimed to exist within this bible-quote.






8 ----- Many VERBAL-GYMNASTICS-FAKE-PARADOXES result from sloppy-lazy-reading-habits.






9 ----- Parenthetically, even the SLOPPY-READ-IN-PARADOX, can be easily-resolved as follows:




----- ----- THE CRETAN BELIEVES THE CRETAN IS NOT A CRETAN, so even if the Cretan is a Cretin, the Cretan is still not a Cretan when the Cretan speaks BECAUSE THE CRETAN IS SPEAKING OUT OF A NON-CRETAN-CONSCIOUSNESS, and that's about as cretinous as this can get without going overboard.


-


Key: Complain about this post

Comment-on: A581096's Lying-Cretan-Paradox

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more