A Conversation for Marillion - the Band: post 1988

Beautiful (!)

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

This is great.. I'm normally a lone voice in a crowd trying to persuade people that Steve Hogarth is the best thing ever to have hit Marillion (and I love the Fish stuff too).

But I have to say that 'Beautiful' is a wonderful song. I listen to it just about every day. Which probably makes me a sad git, but what the heck!


Beautiful (!)

Post 2

Chigley

Hi Sho!

Thanks for the positive comments - I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I get *so* fed up of of comments like - "Marillion - wasn't that the band that did Kayleigh. They were pretty bad even then..." from people who just refuse to listen to anything they've done since. I went to the gig in London recently and they were absolutely fantastic. Have you heard Fish's Fellini Days yet? I got my copy a couple of weeks ago and was a bit underwhelmed at first but it's really growing on me now...

Chig. smiley - smiley


Beautiful (!)

Post 3

Sho - employed again!

I haven't bought anything by fish since what was it... Vigil in a Wilderness of Tears... I'm afraid it put me off.

What really got me listening to the "new" Marillion was an interview I saw. Selina Scott interviewed Steve Hogarth, and he was utterly sexy. Strange but true. Then I saw him live, then I was smitten. But, I fear, I'm the only person who likes Cannibal Surf Babe (look at my user page... )

We very nearly called our first daughter Kayleigh... then decided not to. Phew!


Beautiful (!)

Post 4

Uncle Monty (nothing much going on here then)

Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors..

Hello guys. Superb entry. I am a big fan of Hogarth's Marillion, though to be honest I lost interest after Radiation, which I didn't like much. Afraid of Sunlight is one of my favourite albums. Now I know they have released a few more albums since Radiation, and I do want to get hold of them.

Yep, every time I mention them, people mention Kayleigh. Yuughhh!


what's in a name?

Post 5

Pu Dendal-Shrubbery

Great article. If there was any justice in the world then there wouldn't be the embargo on playing modern marillion tracks on radio stations that there has obviously been for about 10 years.If Radiohead or u2 had created such wondrous albums such as 'brave','afraid of sunlight'or'anoraknophobia'they would've received copious amounts of airplay and topped the album charts and swept the Brit awards and everyone would've raved about them.But marillion carrying the bizarre stigma of being called marillion and saddled with everybody knowing just one or two songs of theirs from 16 years ago,carry on producing great record after great record and only a handful of fans like me get to hear them. It's so frustrating!If any band deserve recognition in the 21st century it's marillion.


what's in a name?

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

If they changed their name and just brought something out... that would be interesting.

But we're an exclusive club, aren't we?


Beautiful (!)

Post 7

Andrew Gadgetman (32826)

Excellent entry I must say. Good to see more people flying the Steve Hogarth flag and not stuck in the Fish years.

The more people that shout, maybe one day the message may get across. See my page for an entry on meeting Marillion which was a real highlight.

My name is one of those in the pre-order album. I am one of the freaks who bought it on faith and proud of it!!!!

Keep up the good work!!


what's in a name?

Post 8

Uncle Monty (nothing much going on here then)

Yes, what about the people who ordered Anoraknophobia in advance so that the band could actually MAKE the album? And the American fans who PAID for them to go out there? A name change probably wouldn't go down too well.

I read somewhere a while ago that Simon Mayo was rubbishing Marillion on Radio 1 and got thousands of e-mails telling him off.

They just need to have their records played on radio!!!!!

The fact that H was responsible to some degree for the raising of Bluebird BUT THEY NEVER GOT MENTIONED on the documentary was bizzarre, it would have been an interesting angle to the story.


Beautiful (!)

Post 9

Uncle Monty (nothing much going on here then)

Well done that man.


what's in a name?

Post 10

Sho - employed again!

To be honest I'm not bothered what bands are called - if it's something I like - and if Marillion told their fans about a name change that wouldn't be a problem. It was only a thought.


Key: Complain about this post