A Conversation for Filing

Fantastic

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

Wow! It's as though I wrote this myself. I'm sending this article round the office with a note to everyone that "see, I'm not anal, I do normal proper filing."

Thanks, great article.

Regarding desks, though, I once had a boss who had a big box for paper, one for each day of the week, he didn't throw away papers he thought he might need, they just went in that day's box. The next week he would empty the box into the shredder - having removed anything he really did need during the week.

Also: (this is a tip from a Dick Francis novel, of all places!) when filing (or indeed tidying up and putting away generally) put something in the first place you thought of when you looked at it. Works for me, anyway.

I'm famous for having 5,000 files each with one piece of paper in them. I know where everything is though.


Fantastic

Post 2

Barneys Bucksaws

Good article! Oh for the days when the office had a file clerk - now we all have to do our own. I absolutely refuse to have any baskets on my desk. They get messy, and papers get lost in the basket. I just won't have it! In Purchasing, you have purchase order files, by supplier, quote files, by number - with accompanying list, and files with supplier information. I file all day long. When the PO copies come back to me, they're immediately filed. When I'm through with a certain quote file, I immediately put it away. Supplier information gets filed as soon as I usher the salesman out my door. Works great - but sometimes my desk is still a mess!

A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind, so says a friend of mine. It also looks like you don't do any work - so keep an open file or 2 on your desk, sitck Post-its here and there - especially around the computer screen - even if its only your shopping list, and a reminder to call your spouse about supper plans. Especially if you're the supervisor, always have lots of bits of paper around - you look run off your feet, and your staff will take pity on you and leave you alone!

A note about keeping tabs on what everyone says. Keep a notebook. Mine's a little fat coil notebook. I call it my CMA book - Cover My A**. That way there can be no misunderstandings, and no one can lie to you. You can look up the disputed conversation and say, "well, last Thursday, that was the 21st you said . . ." and quote the conversation, hopefully verbatum! If anyone asks about your CMA book, tell them you're going to write a book - they become very careful what they say to you!


Fantastic

Post 3

Ashley



'A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind.'

Ooops...


Fantastic

Post 4

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I'm not a messy person, but I could *never* imagine trying to actually follow all the tips in this entry. Still, I can see how it is an invaluable resource for people whose livelihoods rely on good filing. All around, a great entry!


Fantastic

Post 5

Abi

I used to have to do shed loads of filing.

Shame this article was not around then! smiley - smiley


Fantastic

Post 6

Ashley



I'm about to move house and have recently just burnt all my old papers that are no longer relevant - it was a wonderful feeling. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more