A Conversation for Removing Wallpaper

There has to be an easier way

Post 1

Captain Kebab

I've seen some stuff advertised on TV that looks good. It's a kind of absorbent cloth that comes in long strips. The idea is that you give it a good soak, and then just stick it on the previously scored paper. It clings because it's wet, and causes the paper, and through that the paste, to become thoroughly moist, and so after half an hour or so it comes off easily. Well it did in the advert - I've never tried it, but the theory makes sense.

I tend to use a perforating thingie first (one of those gadgets with little sharp cog wheel that you run over the paper to pierce it), then a combination of steamer, wet sponge, scraper and bags of swearing. Or should that be sweating? Both actually. Worst job? Woodchip paper with multiple layers of paint.


There has to be an easier way

Post 2

Metal Chicken

Aaaagh!! You got there first with a mention of the nightmare of all wallpaper stripping nightmares that's currently driving me utterly crazy. The first layer of paper and paint came off easily only to reveal woodchip and 3 more layers of paint. It is obviously welded to my wall for all eternity and unless anybody has any better ways to remove it than demolishing the relevant wall, I think I too will give up and put something else on top of it.


There has to be an easier way

Post 3

Captain Kebab

You might try that stuff I was on about. I saw it on one of the shopping channels, in the DIY bit - it did look quite good, but I can't remember what it was called. You get about half a dozen strips of this stuff - it's reusable - and just whack it up on the wall, give it a few minutes while you have a brew, and then off comes the wallpaper. People take the mickey out of shopping channel gear, but I've generally found that it does what it says it will do. If I remember what it's called I'll post it up.

All the 'normal' methods just don't seem to do the trick with woodchip - and have you noticed how bits of the wood get up under your fingernails and give you painful little cuts?


There has to be an easier way

Post 4

Metal Chicken

I admit I've even resorted to sanding down the wall in a desperate attempt to get rid of the little bits of wood when my fingers got too sore. Doesn't work smiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more