A Conversation for Hawking Radiation

Too little too late

Post 1

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

I think you gave a fine qualitatively (if that's the correct word) description about Hawking radiation, but it leaves me with a question.

You do not mention the energy of the escaping particles, and while this surely diminishes the mass of the black hole, it is probably nothing compared with the mass that the black hole absorbs. I am afraid this effect will be negligible until the whole universe consists of black holes.


Too little too late

Post 2

Jack, A Roo (1*8*6)-(((4*(3!))/4)=42 [Keeper of Macropods, Marsupials, Misplaced Left Parenthesis, & other things Australian]


Hawking radiation is used to explain the lack of black holes of sub-stellar masses which were supposedly created in the Big Bang. Smaller black holes evaporate faster than large ones, since smaller black holes have less influence on the spacetime surrounding them. An analogy would be a small pond vs. a large lake. With a steady evaporation rate and no forcast of steady rain (infalling mass/energy), the larger body of water has more of a chance to catch rain from a brief shower than the small pond, and also having less substance evaporates faster.

Cheers.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more