The Mona Lisa (or La Joconde)

1 Conversation


Painted between 1503 and 1505 by Leonardo da Vinci, La Gioconda (or La Joconde in French, but commonly known as the Mona Lisa) is perhaps the most widely known and recognised work of Western art. It depicts a woman in typical early sixteenth century Florentine dress, seated in a mountainous landscape, who wears a smile1 usually described as 'enigmatic'. It is considered by many to be the prototypical Renaissance portrait.

Where to see it


The picture has been kept in the Louvre museum in Paris, France since the Restoration2. Despite the work's enduring popularity, the curators have sadly seen fit to ensure that a trip to see it is likely to prove disappointing. The relatively low light levels, the thick throng of visitors making close access difficult, and the protective but highly reflective layers of glass in front of it all conspire to make it seem dull and uninspiring. Anyone wishing to study the picture in detail would be well advised to obtain a high quality print; a visit will be more of a symbolic pilgrimage than a good chance to enjoy the painting.

Tardis


Fans of Dr Who will be aware of a question hanging over the picture's provenance. In the story3 'City of Death', written by none other than the late great Douglas Adams4, it was revealed that in fact da Vinci painted 6 copies of the Mona Lisa. This was part of an evil alien's devious plan, the details of which are unimportant here, but the net result of which is that although the Doctor thwarted the plans, the canvas on which the painting now in the Louvre was painted has the words "This is a fake" written on it in felt tip.

1This smile's captivating nature, often credited as the source of this painting's remarkable popularity, may be partly an accident of contemporary symbolism: slight opening of the sides of the mouth was considered to be a symbol of elegance at that time.2Apart from between 1911 and 1913, when it was stolen, but later discovered in a hotel room in Florence.3He later recycled most of the plot of both this and 'Shada', another of his stories from the same season which was never completed due to industrial action. These formed the basis of the book 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency'.4Due to internal BBC rules (mostly because he was also script editor for Dr Who that season) the credits show a fictional name for the author.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A567551

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more