A Conversation for Depression and College Students

depression...

Post 1

Festerpet

this entry is very good. i suffer from it and im not a college student.
we all have ups and downs...sometimes it goes beyond that.
i plan an entry on this....
my father died...my favorite cat died...i cant afford to feel emotions...is this wrong???
i worry
robert
[email protected]


depression...

Post 2

Sam

There's an argument that says *should* we let ourselves feel emotions, let them wash over us. We will survive them, be shaped by them and then be made stronger and wiser by them. Sickness, death, dissappointment, pain and all the other turds life has to throw at us are inevitable - they happen to everyone at some point in their lives. Things are always up and down. Don't worry, my friend smiley - smiley There are millions of people like you, like us.

Read Hermann Hesse - a great German writer who articulates these kind of inner struggles beautifully. Life is short and the world is full of friends! smiley - smiley

Samsmiley - smiley


depression...

Post 3

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

Festerpet - yes, depression is an illness that can affect anyone, and the circumstances which you describe sound like you need to do a lot of grieving.

I'm a firm believer in letting feelings out. Squashing them down doesn't make them go away - it simply stores up trouble for later, as the feelings grow and fester inside.

Is there anyone you can talk to? Friends? People here? A therapist or counsellor? There's no shame in seeking help, and in admitting that you can't cope alone.

I think Scott Peck makes some comment about those people who go for therapy being the strongest ones - because they're strong enough to admit that they can't do it themselves.

Peace,
Inanna


depression...

Post 4

Festerpet

i have read hesse...ive just added an entry in the subject of "grief"
rob


depression...

Post 5

Festerpet

i wish to make an elegy for my late cat...this hurt me very much
rob


depression...

Post 6

Willem

Yes, a big problem of modern times is that people get very close to their pets, and when they die it's very traumatic. But because pets aren't 'people' it seems as if it is not justified to be very very sad about their deaths and it is difficult to find sympathy from other people. Well, to me pets are people!


depression...

Post 7

Festerpet

thankx...ive added things...check them out...
rob


depression...

Post 8

Festerpet

i have added more...i wonder if the guide editors will let me post an elegy for Mau...
rob


depression...

Post 9

Festerpet

i am trying to ask the guide if i can post a eulogy to Mau
rob


depression...

Post 10

Sam

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about Mau. smiley - sadface

However, I think it would be a really good idea if you wrote an elegy for Mau as a Guide entry. This way, what you write will easily be searchable on h2g2 and other search engines like Google, especially if you use key words like 'pet' and 'cat' in the title.

All the best,

Sam. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more