A Conversation for The Football World Cup - An Introduction

Jules Rimet

Post 1

The Nitpicker

I believe Mr Rimet (now better known as the name of a trophy) played a part in ceating the World Cup Finals as a tournament - vague memories while trying to find the answer to the question about Uruguay v Argentine - the info is there on the Web somewhere. Just don't ask me for the URL cause I can't remember anything about it even if I was allowed to post it for you. BTW, like the piece so far but the title leads one to think that it might be more extensive


Jules Rimet

Post 2

Bright Blue Shorts

Yes I thought when I started writing it, that it would be more extensive, but it's a case of trying to delimit things. Whether to talk about the creation of FIFA is one such area I chose not to include.

Beyond a line or two stating that Jules Rimet & Henri Delauney were instigators (and therefore had trophies named after them) what else should I include?


Jules Rimet

Post 3

The Nitpicker

It just seems more like a brief history of football in the Olympics than a piece about the World Cup. How about either extending it to cover the subsequent history of the World Cup or retitling and extending it with more info about soccer at the Olympics? It just seems very brief.
Detail - you need to take out a 'the' in the bit about the Olympics being awarded to USA in 1927.
Will check out the Jules Rimet bit and get back to you.


Jules Rimet

Post 4

The Nitpicker

FIFA formed May 21, 1904 in France. While FIFA tried to organise an international tournament of its own Daniel Burley Woolfall first organised the Olympic tournament in 1908 on behalf of FIFA. When Jules Rimet became 3rd president on March 1st. 1921 FIFA started developing into a serious organization. Jules Rimet managed to reorganize FIFA and organise the first World Cup. On passing on the reins of FIFA in 1954, when he opened his 5th World Cup in Switzerland, FIFA counted 85 members.
A VERY brief resume of Jules Rimet - he deserves credit as the man who actually made the first World Cup happen.


Jules Rimet

Post 5

Bright Blue Shorts

Thanks for the info. Have a had rejig, so that hopefully it all fits together. If you could be so kind as to take another look?

Hmmm yes it is a bit brief. I was just concerned when I looked in the project, that it launched into WC'30. I'm not sure what else can be said on the origins. Maybe this would be better as one section within an overall "The Football World Cup" entry, followed by an overview and links to the individual tournament entries, and how the WC has grown. In fact I'm sure of it. Unfortunately I don't feel like writing it!!

BBS smiley - smiley


Jules Rimet

Post 6

The Nitpicker

Looks better now and I agree that it would be a good section within a larger piece on the whole tournament. Shame you don't fancy writing it though cause I really like what you've done so far! It didn't seem to take you too long (much less time than my Cruijff piece is taking me but then that does include trying desperately trying to find my copy of the book of interviews published recently) - go on, go for it! If you are still adamant I shall feel compelled to try to get it together to do some of the history of the tournament but I really only have time during school holidays (this week).


Jules Rimet

Post 7

Bright Blue Shorts

OK I've been writing up an intro, and have got as far as 1970. Still have to link the tournaments to the individual entries. It's a case of trying to balance between a flavour of the tournament, and staying brief.

What do you think?


Jules Rimet

Post 8

The Nitpicker

It's looking really good and judging by the speed you are posting it is not proving too arduous smiley - smiley Would you like me to produce some more boring statistics to paste in like Golden Boot winner, scorers and teams in the final match or whatever (your suggestions) My piece on Cruijff is coming along but not quite sure how much to put in as, strictly speaking, he didn't figure in a major way EXCEPT for his peerless performances in 1974. Will let you know when I transfer it from my computer to h2g2 for your comments.


Jules Rimet

Post 9

The Nitpicker

Just found all the statistics etc in the individual entries so forget all that bit.


Jules Rimet

Post 10

Bright Blue Shorts

Forgotten. 1974 and 1978 now added. Links coming soon.


Jules Rimet

Post 11

The Nitpicker

Cruyff piece now at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A568938 - any comments welcomed smiley - smiley


Jules Rimet

Post 12

Bright Blue Shorts

It's very good and very complete in content.

The only things I can add is that he is and was a heavy smoker throughout his playing career.

The layout is generally very good. I'm not sure whether it's in GuideML, but you could consider having 3 sections (you can still do these without GML). The intro section about his background, his playing career, his coaching career. Possibly the playing career could have subsections of Ajax, Barcelona & The Netherlands.

I found the paragraph on Ajax's success a little clumsy. Maybe you could change it to say something like "Ajax won the Dutch National Championship five times, and the European cup 3 years in a row from 1971 - 73." and then bullet point the details of the EC victories.

I don't think that there is much else that can be said. It is a very good entry.

BBS smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post