A Conversation for Houldsworth Mill, Stockport, Greater Manchester, UK

Reddish: the real-life model for "Coronation Street"

Post 1

AgProv2

It should be worth saying here that Reg Houldsworth is not the only nod "Coronation Street" has made in the direction of the Houldsworths and their Reddish.

Houldsworth family money also enabled the construction and dedication of St Elizabeth's Church, an Anglican edifice whose spire co-dominates the Reddish skyline. This spire can be seen from miles away, and the church itself is a grand and imposing building that seems out of place in a district of Stockport which, sadly, is moving socially downwards.

(Some cities in the UK, including Manchester, boast smaller cathedrals...)

This church, on the corner of Leamington Road and Houldsworth Street, faces the Mill and is well worth a visit by people with an interest in Victorian mock-Gothic eccleasiastica.

And the Coronation Street link? The church and grounds have been used for location filming for Coro; various Street weddings have "happened" in this Church, with filming taking place both inside (there is a grand and imposing interior) and outside, where the backdrop of Northern terraces places it firmly in Coronation Street Country.

Granada's location fees go to Church upkeep, and the current vicar is seen on TV playing the organ during Street weddings; he is not at all worried that his Anglican church is used to represent Weatherfield's local Catholic church!


Key: Complain about this post

Reddish: the real-life model for "Coronation Street"

More Conversations for Houldsworth Mill, Stockport, Greater Manchester, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more