A Conversation for Football World Cup - 1954: Switzerland

Some Points to include WC54

Post 1

Bright Blue Shorts

I was reading up on the World Cup last night and you might want to add some stuff to this entry.

- when the Germans lost to Hungary in the preliminary, as well as fielding many reserves, they also used it as an opportunity to kick the s**t out of Ferenc Puskas. This meant that he was much less effective when they later met in the final.

- in the final, Hungary were 2-0 up inside the first 10 minutes and had a goal by Puskas disallowed in the closing minutes.

Most importantly the Hungarian team of the early 1950s were the unacknowledged champions of world football. From 1950-56 they played 46 matches losing only one - the WC final against Germany. During this time they became the first team to beat England at Wembley (3-6) and their top club team, Honved, were one of the best in Europe. The reign of the Hungarians ended in November 1956 when the Russian tanks rolled into Budapest.

BBS smiley - smiley


Some Points to include WC54

Post 2

Eusebio - squad number 11

Top stuff BBS! smiley - ok
You don't fancy writing an entry on the 'Magnificent Magyars' do you?
I'm just in the middle of re-reading Puskas on Puskas ... fantastic book (a must read footy book!).

smiley - biggrin


Some Points to include WC54

Post 3

Bright Blue Shorts

No, sorry definitely don't know enough about that one.

Just to add clarification ... Puskas disallowed goal was for offside and in their 46 matches, Hungary scored 210 goals.

BTW My origins of the World Cup has become an introduction to all the other entries. Does it meet with your approval, or am I stealing the thunder from your entries? It's not quite finished, but it will be smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Football World Cup - 1954: Switzerland

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more