A Conversation for The First Towel Day

Peer Review: A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 1

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Entry: TOWEL DAY - A557093
Author: Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic) - U93295

Submitting again as suggested. Happy Towel Day to all you hoopy froods!


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 2

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Kewl!!

Welcome back smiley - ok


lil x


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 3

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Thanks! Glad to be back. smiley - biggrin


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 4

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I like this Entry, it shows the history of the Guide - I am wondering if we could encapsulate this text within a wider framework - showing the development of Towel day in the eleven years since this was written, with some examples of how Towel Day is now celebrated and places worldwide where events take place?

Maybe with some collaborative input, we can keep Gw7en's original Entry and weave additional material around it?

And welcome back to h2g2 Gw7en, thanks for returning!

smiley - towel


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 5

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

The GU celebrates Towel day>>>http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/may/25/douglas-adams-towel-day << and I have my trusty towel draped on my legs to keep warm on a chill autumnal day


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 6

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I read this and at first thought it cute, but maybe not something for Peer Review. After reading a few of the replies I did a little checking;

I find no summation of the history of hootoo on this site,

on a wider internet search I find;


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Wikipedia

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2g2

I think it is high time we had an edited or approved entry on the history of our own site!

I am not sure I have much to contribute, as just another researcher, but many of the movers and shakers who have lived the trials and tribulations are certainly reading this!

smiley - grovel I hate to think that "other site" knows more about us than we admit too.

>gets off soapbox<

Fsmiley - dolphinS


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 7

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

After posting I did look a little more and found A943184 While it touches on the history of the site, it is far more a tribute to the literary works.
I still think we need a good entry based on the site itself, with the kind of details quoted.

Fsmiley - dolphinS


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 8

Bluebottle

I'm torn between wanting to preserve this exactly the way it is - it is an article on the first Towel Day written as it happened, or suggest that it be updated to reflect everything that has happened since.

Do you want to write about The First Towel Day, or Towel Day in general from beginning to present?
Either is perfectly valid, but at present the article reads as if it is the First Towel Day, but the title implies all Towel Days.

I don't want this to be changed beyond recognition in the Peer Review process and lose the original article and the spirit behind it - have you got a copy?

<BB<


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 9

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I think this was my intention too BB, that we give this original Entry some recognition. Maybe a new Entry, about Towel Day, with some of this text quoted, and a link to the original?


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 10

Bluebottle

I thought I'd mention that there is an entry in the Flea Market about Towel Day. See: F74125?thread=8246859 / A82714944

<BB<


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 11

h5ringer

On this site that's unthinkable smiley - yikes


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 12

Bluebottle

My point is that there seems to be a history of articles about Towel Day not getting into the Edited guide, and I would hate to see a similar fate befall this one.

I think Lanza's suggestion would be a great way forward.

<BB<


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 13

8584330

I recommend letting this one be what it is, a "the first towel day" entry, and then having a second, general "this is what towel day has evolved into" entry.

And speaking of my best intentions and that flea-market towel day, I am having a world of trouble doing anything at all with someone else's entry. it would be much easier to just write one, without trying to include the other words, and I have plenty of material submitted by various towel day participants around the world.


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 14

h2g2 Guide Editors

Is anything happening with this Entry? smiley - smiley

h2g2 Eds


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 15

8584330

Here is my suggestion:

1) Change the title to "The First Towel Day"

2) Add a short paragraph as a preface, providing the historical framework, explaining when and why this entry was written.

3) Change nothing else, because it is an important part of h2g2 history.


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 16

Bluebottle

Gw7en hasn't posted since Christmas, so sadly it's looking like an smiley - elvis. But before the <./>Writing-fleamarket</.> or Back to Entry is suggested, I hope that there is a serious discussion on whether there's enough here to make it as it is? I agree with Happy Nerd that this is a record of the very first Towel Day, written as it happened, and feel it should be preserved as such. It is short, yes, but talking as someone who always waffles on too much, sometimes short is more. Every word dates from the first Towel Day, adding too much more might dilute what makes this special beyond recognition.

A more detailed article on how Towel Day has been developed since could follow, but This entry describes our history, and I would hate it to be re-written.

<BB<


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 17

8584330

Yes it is short, but there isn't anything wrong with short. It is informative and of historical value.


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 18

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


I agree we don't want to lose this.

Let it be Edited. It can always be updated at a later date smiley - ok


lil x


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 19

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

This is an important historical document. It should be made edited, with a preface above.

PLEASE remember when changing the status to edited, not to use the new eds tool, to bring this entry to the front page, which strips out the original date.

I can write the preface for you if nobody else has time.


A557093 - TOWEL DAY

Post 20

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I did start to make changes on this, but it does need more, I think. A preface would be great, thanks Lanzababy smiley - ok I did wonder about removing the reference to Peta, who is no longer around on h2g2. If someone can go through it and tell me what needs to be done I'll take care of it. We can make it edited as is, saving the date.

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva


Key: Complain about this post