A Conversation for The Film that Moved You Most and Why

Crouching Matrix: Hidden Pish

Post 81

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Bridget Jones's Diary is the best film I have seen in years! I read the book the next day (yesterday) and although it is a long way off the Story...as in the film it changes alot (eg the ending!) but it was so brilliant! Although there were only a total of 5 people in the cinema we all laugh our heads off. Execellant Film! Funniest, most romantic film, her mates are well cast as are the main cast and I've got to go see it again!!

Colin Firth was brilliant and very yummy as Mr Darcy (Mark Darcy and not just Mr Darcy Pride and Predjedice againsmiley - winkeye)

Hugh Grant creepy as hell and pulls it off as the horrible and creepy Daniel Cleaver superbly...and trust me slimy probably doesn't describe it!


Renee Zellweger did a great Bridget and someone explain to me how she actually thought she was fat!!! Great accent and just great!

I love the film and book and I don't care what anyone says it's my favourite film!

And can I just say for everyone who hasn't seen the film SEE IT!


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 82

Scottish Guy

Conan the Barbarian - Nominated for the award of 'Least Talking Ever', but a truly inspirational film with one of the best soundtracks ever to grace the planet.


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 83

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Speaking of new movies - Shrek kept me p*****g my pants the entire time! So funny, so anti-Disney, I loved it.

Moulin Rouge wasn't bad, despite being panned in Australia (we do so love shopping our tall poppies down - I thought Nicole Kidman was fantastic and more than carried the film. She also has a great voice, aslong with Ewan McGregor)


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 84

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

See I didn't realise until I saw them being interviewed on that Johnathen Ross film review program that they were singing!


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 85

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

I saw a short program about the making of Moulin Rouge and it shows both of them in the sound studio, mucking around and recording some of the songs.

Ewan also sang in the movie "Emma" with Gwynneth Paltrow (does this signal a return to the Golden Era of Hollywood where you had to sing, dance and act to be considered for leading roles?)


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 86

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Yeah Emma singing was scarey!


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 87

Researcher Verbal_Kint

I'd like to nominate The Usual Suspects, great acting, great music, great plot!


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 88

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

Hence your name I guess. Stop limping boy! You're not fooling anyone!
Also one of my favourite films.

I saw the film "Traffic" a few days ago. It is very long and drags slightly in the middle but at the end you are left with the feeling of unsatisfaction the the story is too big to hear all of it. It's the sort of film that you don't want to end because you know that when it does the world will still be corrupt and drug ridden. There is no closure but that only improves it because it doesn't shy from the truth. I see it as a very important and technically brilliant film that displays the drug world successfully from every angle. Not the most enjoyable three hours of my life but definately an enlightening experience. Everyone should see this film and you will never look at drugs with a blase' attitude again. I can't even start to describe it.

I saw the film "Ginger Snaps" about a week ago at the cinema (a more cultish one since it's an indie film.) It was very good, if very gory, quite horrific and too damn funny!

I'd also like ask if anyone has seen either "Straw Dogs" or "Man bites dog" as these are supposed to both be shocking, provocative, controversial but very intelligent and well written films. I am yet to see either but they both sound good. I'm already a fan of "A clockwork orange" and "Fight Club" and thought it would be good to complete the set (also "Taxi Driver" which I, almost blasphemously, also am yet to see.) I was very disapointed with the film of the Iain Banks book "Complicity" because the book was fantastic but the film didn't come close to it's power or wit. If a better adaption was made then it would fit easily with the above films.

And just for the sake of it I think I will surprise you all by saying that, although in this one post I have mentioned a love for such films as Fight Club, Usual Suspects, Ginger Snaps, Se7en (did I mention this, deserves a mention anyway) and Clockwork orange, one of my favourite films remains...
...It's a wonderful life.

Ain't it great.

"The greatest trick Bob ever pulled was convincing the other researchers he didn't exist...and like smiley - run that he was gone."


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 89

Strangefish

And what about 'Three Colours: Red', or the two French films 'Jean de Florette' (funny) and 'Manon Des Sources' (emotionally devistating when seen with the other film)...

Or 'Fearless', probably Jeff Bridges best film, where he saves people from a plane crash and sufferes from the self delusion that he cannot be killed, it's so sympathetically filmed you almost believe him!

Or 'The 39 Steps' (the original Hitchcock version), a great early thriller. How about any Hitchcock - 'North By Northwest' is my fav..

Has anyone seen 'Rushmore', I've only seen it once and that was at a film festival, it came out a few years ago, I found it incredibly funny (Bill Murry's in a supporting role)?


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 90

Strangefish

And what about 'Three Colours: Red', or the two French films 'Jean de Florette' (funny) and 'Manon Des Sources' (emotionally devistating when seen with the other film)...

Or 'Fearless', probably Jeff Bridges best film, where he saves people from a plane crash and sufferes from the self delusion that he cannot be killed, it's so sympathetically filmed you almost believe him!

Or 'The 39 Steps' (the original Hitchcock version), a great early thriller. How about any Hitchcock - 'North By Northwest' is my fav..

Has anyone seen 'Rushmore', I've only seen it once and that was at a film festival, it came out a few years ago, I found it incredibly funny (Bill Murry's in a supporting role)?


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 91

Line Walker - Keeper Of Negativity

Straw Dogs & Man Bites Dog - seen them both (with one viewed a loooong time ago) and owner of one. smiley - smiley


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 92

Line Walker - Keeper Of Negativity

Straw Dogs & Man Bites Dog - seen them both (with one viewed a loooong time ago) and owner of one. smiley - smiley


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 93

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

God you must REALLY like those films to post twice!


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 94

WonderWoman

I just felt the need to add my favorites to this list:

The Princess Bride
Beauty and the Beast
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Philadelphia Story
Groundhog's Day
Sleepy Hollow
My Name is Nobody
Meet Joe Black


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 95

TF - The New Fast Automatic F-Reek - Now in DTS

I'm seeing a bit of a pattern here, no Arnie movies and no Sly Stallone movies and no Jean Claude movies..... hmmmmmmm (doesn't Terminator at least get a mention, or Running Man)smiley - yikes. Also no movies with any combination or permutation of the words Police or Academy in the title. smiley - biggrin

I'm really amazed that no Tarantino movies got a vote. I was pretty worried at first that Godfather Trilogy wasn't up there, but they finally turned up.

But what really bothers me is NO STAR WARS!,smiley - wah, COME ON PEOPLE!
There is also no Jaws or Close Encounters. Rio Bravo even. What's all that about?smiley - yawn

Maybe, just maybe there is no greatest movie ever, and it just comes down to what we personally like. But in any case it's Star Wars!!


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 96

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

Star Wars is there isn't it? Uh-oh.


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 97

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

so was the godfather trilogy me thinks!


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 98

Researcher 33337

Star Wars does deserve a mention, because of its influence. And teh trilogy's good fun (EP I is fun if you like watching films taht anren't even enjoyably bad) But compare Star Wars to say, Deliverance, or Apocalypse Now, Or Das Boot, or Unbreakable, SOme like it Hot (And in My opinion ST II and VI, but tahts just me) And they all look a little shady, Its the poor writing and simple plotting. Basically, I love the trilogy, but tehre are many many better films.

As For Arnie, Sly and Van (Kick your HAAAS) Damme. Those moviesare fun, Sicth Day was great fun to watch, Substanceless and forgettable but a good couple of hours of escapism, (Great Quote from Arn,"In this film we cover the issues, Are clones realy Alive, do they have Souls?" In teh flim Clone Arnie Says "Am I really alive, do I have a soul?" Great stuff) Fo a laugh watch Hard Target, Commando etc. The exceptions to these in my opinion are, for Arnie, Total Recall, The Running Man (Even with teh really bad acting) and Terminator and T2. For Sly, The Rocky Films, I've only seen 1-4, and 4 does have dolph lundgren trying to out act his gloves, but its engaging stuff nonetheless.

My several quids worth.


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 99

Scattergun


Definitely more of the old-school required;

Holiday
The Philadelphia Story
North by Northwest
Mr Smith Goes To Washington
It's A Wonderful Life

The last two moved me a great deal. James Stewart was a brilliant actor - a good snapshot of his ability is in "Rear Window" when he watches Grace Kelly being caught by Raymond Burr. You simply believe it.


The Best Movies of All Time

Post 100

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

It's a wonderful life is... well... wonderful really.
I've really been getting into foreign cinema a lot recently.
Amelie and Run Lola Run are both great films but it was Life is Beautiful that completely tore me apart. I had to leave the cinema and cool down before I could even go back to talk to my friends. Truly touching.

PS. What did you think of Spiderman and the new Star Wars. Cheesy dialogue aside (esp, the latter. Painful!) I thought they both were kind of cool. Well at least for big Hollywood productions. Yoda is just THE MAN. Or the muppet. Or whatever. Hmm.


Key: Complain about this post

Crouching Matrix: Hidden Pish

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more