A Conversation for Anglophilia in the US

A guide for Anglophile Americans

Post 1

Vestboy

Some Brits aren't keen on British accents in films being attached to the pompous people or the criminal classes. Think of the Lion King. The bad lion brother has a posh English accent. Where did he go to school? The bird played by Rowan Atkinson is very pompous.

Some Brits aren't keen on American films that claim victories or accomplishments that were British. U-571 is an example of this.

At the same time there are a lot of aspects of American life and characteristics that many Brits do enjoy (if not envy).
The ability to live in a less class ridden society - though I believe that has changed over the years.
Confidence!
Generosity.
The ability to give and accept praise.

My interactions with Americans (in the UK) has been very pleasant on the whole - no that's not true. I can't think of a single experience that was less than charming.

Thanks for a very thoughtful article. I almost couldn't hear your American accent as I read it smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

A guide for Anglophile Americans

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more