A Conversation for Man o' War - the Racehorse

Muybridge

Post 1

Ratus

The correct (albeit unusual) spelling of the photographer's name is Eadward Muybridge. He was born Edward but changed his name to the Anglo-Saxon spelling. Muybridge was the first person to film a running horse in order to prove a theory of Leland Stanford (the former California governor and founder of Stanford University) that a running horse lifts all four feet off the ground at some point during its stride.


Muybridge

Post 2

Sam

Many thanks for this - I've made the change.smiley - smiley

Samsmiley - smiley


Muybridge

Post 3

Researcher 238960

The correct spelling of Muybridge's revised first name was actually Eadweard.

More importantly, he died in 1904. I would be VERY interested if anyone can tell me where this information concerning Muybridge filming a horse race in 1920 came from.

(I am currently editing a book for the centenary of his death).

Stephen Herbert


Muybridge

Post 4

Sam

Hello there,

I've emailed the author directly (he appears not to have been on site for a while) and have drawn his attention to this thread. Hopefully he'll reply to you!

Sam.


Muybridge

Post 5

Researcher 171446

I've just learned about the question as to the accuracy of the Muybridge information. Here's the full quote from my original source:

"...it was also the first horse race to be filmed in its entirety over a circular track. The photographer was Edward Muybridge, who forty years earlier had produced the first record on film of a running animal. At that time, he had used twenty cameras, lined up at close intervals on a straight track, with silk threads stretched across the track tripping the camera shutters as they were broken by the horse. This time, he used fourteen cameras, and the film was later shown in a Broadway theater at reserved-seat prices."

This from The Most Glorious Crown by Marvin Drager, copyright 1975.

The film itself was available for viewing at the National Museum of Racing when I was there in 1991. Their website does not currently include it, however, so I couldn't check the film credits. Ed Bowen's recent biography of Man o' War makes no mention of the film. I will look into this further.

Does anyone know if perhaps Muybridge had a son?


Muybridge

Post 6

Tuffy369

The film that you refer to that was made by Muybridge in 1920 was of the last race that was run by the American racehorse, "Man o'War." It was shot at Kenilworth Park in Windsor, Canada when he ran his final race against the first Triple Crown winner, Sir Barton. Man o'War won but was retired by his owner, Sam Riddle, when he learned that as a four year old the horse would be expected to carry 145 or 150 pounds in his races.

I have seen a small segment of this film on a web site, but unfortunately, the name of the site escapes me. Should I find it again I will be happy to pass the info onto you.

Kay


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Man o' War - the Racehorse

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more