A Conversation for Pennsylvania, USA

Seven Years War

Post 1

Bluebottle

The reason because the "French And Indian War" is known as the Seven Years War in Europe being because it was not just the French and Native Americans who were involved. In truth, it was fought in three continents - Europe, North America, and India, as well as in the West Indies, and had France, Austria, Russia, Saxony, Sweden, and (after 1762) Spain on the one side and Prussia, Great Britain, and Hanover on the other. Calling it "French And Indian War" I feel is inaccurate. A better title would be the "France, Austria, Russia, Saxony, Sweden, Prussia, Great Britain, Hanover, North American Tribes, Americans and, after 1762, Spain War", or alternatively "The Seven Years War", as it did last (very roughly) 7 years.

<BB<


Seven Years War

Post 2

Jimi X

Really, it was the first world war. However, that name is already taken. smiley - winkeye

I referred to it as the French and Indian War because that is how it is known in the US. If I were to say the 'Seven Years War' on any street corner or university in America I would be met with a lot of blank stares - but saying the French and Indian War would turn on the memories of a few dozen people at least.

Cheers!

- X


Seven Years War

Post 3

Bluebottle

One thing that I believe in is the idea of different words having exact meanings. That is not to say that I know the correct meaning of every word, and indeed words can change their meanings.

In this case, I feel that to call the entire Seven Years War "French And Indian War" is inaccurate, yet the name "French And Indian Battle" would be more technically correct. A battle does not necessarily have to have a limited time - it generally means one aspect of a war. The Battle of the Atlantic during the Second World War is an example, as is the Battle of Britain.

"The French And Indian Battle" would accurately describe what happened, and would suggest that it was part of a war on a bigger scale.

But then, that's common language for you. smiley - winkeye

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more