A Conversation for Staffordshire, England, UK

Climax Chicago Blues Band

Post 1

Pheroneous II

I suppose there is a long list somewhere of very good bands who never quite "made it" but who nevertheless added to the general goodness of saturday nights. Astonished to see them mentioned here. (Their Mr Cooper might argue strongly about 'never made it' with a US top 40 hit to their name!) They dropped the Chicago, I believe, when the American group "Chicago Blues Band", later just "Chicago", came to prominence.

Not convinced of the value of this type of entry, nicely written though it is, all info available elsewhere, and can read like a digest of leaflets from the tourist office. Perhaps stronger personally opinionated and styled input about smaller areas than whole counties work better.


Climax Chicago Blues Band

Post 2

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Thanks for reading it Pheroneous!

I used to spend my teenage years watching the Chicago Climax Blues Band ( I was too young really smiley - tongueincheek in a smoky backroom.

The intention is now to produce entrie(s) on Stoke on Trent, so I appreciate your comment. As to the Staffordshire article, much of what is available elsewhere seems glibly copied and/or written by tourist offices, whereas this one was written from first hand sources by the many contributors.
smiley - cheers


Climax Chicago Blues Band

Post 3

Pheroneous II

Look forward to learning about Stoke. My knowledge of the area is solely from Arnold Bennett so may be a little out of date!


Climax Chicago Blues Band

Post 4

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

....and he hated it, so the locals don't appreciate his take on the place. smiley - smiley


Climax Chicago Blues Band

Post 5

Pheroneous II

I hope you realise that I now have to go up to the attic at great risk to life and limb to discover whether its Climax Chicago (I think you are right) or Chicago Climax. There is a box of LP's somewhere.

I think, and, as always, am open to correction, that Mr Bennett had an affectionate view of the place(s) but earned a crust mocking the pretensions of the middle classes which, I presume, were much the same in the Potteries as elsewhere.

And, yes, I did see that it was a multi-authored piece but do not know if that helps. I like a point of view.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more