A Conversation for Choosing a Supermarket Checkout

Additional types

Post 1

Hikehitcher

Other countries with supermarkets can have additional types.

For example, in the USA there is a flavor of the public dole known as Food Stamps. These are mailed to the eligible person each month and work something like traveler's checks--except you can only buy food items with them (not beer, cigs or chewing gum, for example). But like traveler's checks each "stamp" (they really are shaped more like checks) has a given value and has to be individually scanned and rung up like a coupon. Delay factor: (2X)

Another variant I've only seen in California so far I don't know the name of but appears to be a subset of something like Food Stamps except each coupon only allows you to buy a specific item at a specific price. A person using these might have 5 or 10 coupons with the appropriate items. The extra delay come from the fact that not only does the buyer have to sign them, the teller has to scan the items then the coupon then fill in by hand the price and co-sign each coupon! Delay factor: (4X - 5X)


Additional types

Post 2

Güthwinë

Yeah... I work as a supermarket checker, and I know both these types. The first type isn't too bad, as the state of Wisconsin has instituted the "QUEST" card program. Basically, the food stamp funds are available in an account accessed with a smart-looking quasi-credit card. This is apparantly an effort to keep the underpriveleged from feeling ostracized by making them use conspicuous food stamp checks. However, this is generally negated by the fact that half the checkers don't know the procedure for using the cards, so the transaction is generally preceded by someone yelling across the store, "Hey Edy! How do I use a FOOD STAMP CARD?!?!"

The second variety mentioned is even worse... WIC checks. The check lists what 3-5 items can be bought, usually along the lines of 1 Gallong Milk, 1 dozen Eggs, up to 16oz Cheese, no more than 36 oz Dry Cereal etc. etc. etc.

Each item has to be carefully scanned to make sure it meets the stringent specifications, then the check has to be signed, ID checked, and I have to countersign it. Yeah, they suck. A lot.

If you see someone in front of you with these checks, RUN to another lane.

Güthwinë.


Additional types

Post 3

Bright Blue Shorts

Ooh these sound difficult ... Why so stringent? I realise it's not the same thing, but if you have a money off coupon (that say you found in a magazine) the supermarkets will accept them even if you're not buying the item!! Seriously! I guess they work on the basis that somebody will do, so why waste time being pedantic ...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more