A Conversation for Choosing a Supermarket Checkout

Nice.

Post 1

iaoth

I like this Entry, solely because it reads as if the reader is at the supermarket, trying to choose the correct queue. It has an air of "immediate information" (whatever I might mean by that smiley - smiley) that is so typical for the entries in DNA's h2g2. smiley - cool


Nice.

Post 2

The Apprentice

However, the rating for Married Males is borrocks.


Nice.

Post 3

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I agree thoroughly. The article is well-done in general. The bit about married males is unnecessarily sexist, IMO. (My relationships with men tend to be the inverse of the usual gender assumptions about household and similar tasks.)

Now what or who is an OAP?


Nice.

Post 4

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

I know ... an Old Age Pensioner ... Bearer of Bus Passes and Enterer of Futile "You could have already won 48 trillion pounds, call this number immediately" Competitions ...


Nice.

Post 5

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Thanks, Ekki. smiley - smiley I guess the acronym isn't as common in my neck of the woods.


Nice.

Post 6

the man painted green (173085)

i believe a comedian by the name of eddie izzard, has also researched this. perhaps we can get his input on this one.


Nice.

Post 7

Researcher 173689

There is little doubt that the Express Line is really a cruel joke being perpetrated by someone who wants to devalue the meaning of the word. At my local Wooworse Food Fairy the express line is personed by people who have to also attend to the deadbeats who want to buy fags at supermarket prices but don't want to go through the checkouts. There is a special counter for them, people with complaints and returns, and those (like me once) who forgot to take a bag away with them from a check out. Anyway the fag smokers seem to have some kind of priority since no matter how long the express line is they get almost immediate attention. They also always ask for a brand/type combination that is not in the dinky little rack above the counter but stored away in the bowels of the main fag storage closet which has a security lock which necessitates the attendance of a supervisor with "the key". The supervisor is usually on a break or supervising things at the furthest point from the fag storage closet. In the meantime the express line expands to up to 25 souls (I've counted them) and even people with $427.85 trolleys have gone through and loaded their items in the car, got home, unpacked and are sitting down for a cuppa by the time the express line has resolved itself down to 2 or 3 in line. Another "feature" of our express line is that they take cheques and credit cards of which 1 out 5 fail to go through for some reason or another. I now avoid the express line like the plague and choose the line with the best looking shiela operating it. I don't chat her up, but.


Nice.

Post 8

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Mr Izzards comments on Supermarket queues made me crash my car ... was crying with laughter (never good when driving) and piled into the back of Mr Hussein from Bradford ...

couldn't begin to give an accurate rendition in text form, suggest that everyone seeks it out for themself ... it's on the Glorious tape


Key: Complain about this post