A Conversation for How to Answer the Telephone in the UK

Your number here.

Post 1

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

That's us. smiley - smiley and for the reasons cited.

Is it really formal? Gosh. I had no idea. Just how it's always been done.


Your number here.

Post 2

Vip

Well, there's formal and there's formal, I suppose, but it's not *in*formal. smiley - smiley

I like it myself, although I still use 'Hello?'.

smiley - fairy


Your number here.

Post 3

scorp

I think that it is a beautifully written piece Vip. The only thing I would say is that a few years ago, I attended one of the many secretarial conventions I used to go to; and we had a talk by a female police Inspector about answering the phone. She advised us never to answer with the number; as some wierdo may have dialled a number at random without actually knowing it; and when you answer with your number, they can keep it and then ring you again and again, making a real pain of themselves. Just a point of view; but I have always stuck by that advice and always use hello!


Your number here.

Post 4

Vip

Crickey, I'd've never thought of that! Scary!

Thanks for that!

smiley - fairy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more