A Conversation for Prions

nvCJD cases increasing

Post 1

Shorn Canary ~^~^~ sign the petition to save the albatrosses

Just a quick one before I forget any important details. On the news today they reported that nvCJD cases which had been expected to be decreasing in frequency by now have found to be actually increasing. There was a 20% increase last year. More cases in the north and Scotland where people are twice as likely to get the disease. They think the reason is economic and diet related. Aparently the mechanically recovered gunge from the bones of butchered animals is used for pies, burgers and sausages which are more likely to be eaten by people who are poor (north/south divide thing). More old people are also getting it. Before, it was mainly young people. What else .... Oh yes. The food industry have been asked to be clear about what exactly goes into things like pies and burgers but they won't tell. They're not really supposed to use mechanically recovered yucky stuff but it's suspected that they still do.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more