A Conversation for Julius Caesar - Roman Dictator

Goodness!

Post 1

Jimi X

"A consul was the highest political office in Rome and there were two new consuls each year, both men needing to be 42. "

42?

*faints*


Goodness!

Post 2

Menza

Yeah, odd that one. I didn't have the heart to check that fact out just incase it was wrong. smiley - winkeye


Goodness!

Post 3

Jimi X

Striving for the goal of being definitively inaccurate? smiley - winkeye


Goodness!

Post 4

Menza

Nah, I just couldn't bring myself to change it. smiley - winkeye

*it is right by the way*


Goodness!

Post 5

Nema Fakei

Greetings and Salutations

Yes, it is right, but it's not very spectacular given the views held by most Romans (so don't faint). Compare it to the patron/client relationship and the mutual respectability benefits therein (it's not who you are but who you know).


Goodness!

Post 6

toby_cw

It is indeed true. The age limits were introduced by Sulla around 81BC in order to stop young people gaining too much power too quickly (a move to reduce the threat of potential dictators).

Under Sulla's scheme a person had to follow a set path before they could seek election to consul: from the age of thirty they could be a quaestor, from thirty-nine they could be a praetor, and only after this could a person run for consul.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more