A Conversation for Antiquated Words and Phrases

Sayings

Post 21

Hati

smiley - laugh
Very interesting theory. Entertaining... smiley - biggrin


Sayings

Post 22

Barneys Bucksaws

If anyone's still interested in this conversation, I remembered another saying from my time in a one-room country school:

The sun may kiss the bright blue sky
The stars may kiss the moon on high
The dew drops, they may kiss the grass
But you. my friend, can kiss my a**

Were we ever awful kids!


Sayings

Post 23

Researcher 236967

If meece=mice, and mizen=mice too, then mizen goes back to the Anglo Saxon plural ending of -en. It's like the area in Bath called Beechen Cliff - Beeches Cliff.

Researcher 236967, so I'm told!


Sayings

Post 24

Barneys Bucksaws

Sso, if you have a ball-mouse, and a click-mouse, do you have mice, mizen, neither, or both? One has to be silly!


Sayings

Post 25

Hati

Meece, I guess. smiley - silly


Sayings

Post 26

chiefaberach

I was told at college in Edinburgh that the plural of computer mouse is mouses, but I'm not sure who the ruling authority on that decision was. Maybe someone wrote it in a dictionary so it must be true!


Sayings

Post 27

deep_thoughtII

Reminds me of

If the plural of mouse is mice, is the plural of spouse then spice?

If the plural of goose is geese, is the plural of moose then meese?

(I tend to say things like this fairly often and then my friends look at me funny.)


Sayings

Post 28

Barneys Bucksaws

Off topic a bit, not plurals, but I heard a good expression last night at Tai Chi - *Suck it up princess* - applied, aparently, to anyone, male or female, of any age! One of the older male members was complaining about something, and another - male member - told him to suck it up princess. It created a couple of seconds of silence, then the whole class laughed.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more