A Conversation for Global Positioning System (GPS)

Galileo

Post 1

amdsweb

Not wanting to be overly reliant on a US military device, the EU is launching it's own satellite network called Galileo, which is reputed to be better than the US GPS system.
Trouble is, it will use the same spectrum of radio frequencies in use by today's wireless networking devices.


Galileo

Post 2

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

"Better" is a somehow tough term. What do you mean by "better"?

I have read that Galileo is planned, but I haven't had the opportunity to get some real juicy information about it.


Galileo

Post 3

amdsweb

From what I can gather, accuracy will be much improved, and there will be extra information available (for a small fee) from the satellites regarding the quality of the signal, etc - something only the US military has access to with the US GPS service. There was an article about it in last week's New Scientist magazine.


Galileo

Post 4

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

Sounds really interesting ...

On the other hand, GPS accuracy is really ok imho. Do we really want (or need) accuracy down to inches? That is something that might scare me if it gets into the wrong hands ...

Jeremy


Galileo

Post 5

amdsweb

The thing about GPS is it isn't really all that accurate - when you're moving (ie if you are a ship or an aeroplane) the resolution drops to several tens of metres, and there have been cases of accidents due to this. Galileo will hopefully address this, and will be backed up by land-based transmitters in places where reception is poor/accuracy is paramount.

The whole idea of Galileo is that anyone can use it - unfortunately that means terrorists too, but the highly accurate version does I believe require a two way conversation between satellite and GPS receiver, so you'd know who was using it, and like GPS it can be blocked/deliberately made inaccurate in times of war.


Galileo

Post 6

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

Otherwise the first thing the DoD would be about to do would be to 'terminate' the Galileo satellites in a case of crisis smiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more