Officials in Ancient Athenian Democracy

1 Conversation

Athens in the fifth century BC was a democracy1 and its affairs were run by some of its citizens, who occupied certain official positions with specific responsibilities. These men were Athenian citizens - for the more important posts they would be the richest class, the pentacosiomedimnoi or the next richest, the hippeis (Knights). These men were the leading citizens of the city - many would be of noble backgrounds. However, most of the citizens of Athens were ordinary people, nowhere near as rich as they were. Other, less important positions were filled by lot.

There were a great number of officials with different spheres of influence. Some of the most important are detailed below.

Types of Officials

Archons

This means ’one who is in authority’. The term was used either loosely to refer to any Athenian official, or more accurately, to refer only to the nine most senior officials of the city. They were elected until 487 BC, but subsequently selected by lot from each of the ten tribes of Athens in turn, subject to approval by the Boule2. Originally, only the two richest classes could be archons, but this was later extended to include the zeugites or hoplite class, the third of the four classes established by the reformer Solon. They were, to put it simply, the big cheeses of early fifth century Athens, especially the three most senior Archons, listed below3.

The nine Archons were:

Eponymous Archon: So-called because the year was named after him. He was the Chief Justice and president of both the Boule and Ecclesia (an assembly which all Athenian citizens4 were entitled to attend, and which made most of the important decisions such as deciding to go to war. Athens was therefore a direct democracy, not a representative democracy like most of today's nations. Of course, it was also much smaller!

The Polemarch: He was the chief military commander of Athens until the introduction of the Strategoi (see below) later, and also dealt with legal cases involving Metics5 and other foreigners.

The Basileus Archon: Meaning ‘King’ Archon, he was in charge of religious matters.

There were also six Thesmothetai.

Thesmothetai

This means ‘establisher of judgements’. These officials made up the remaining six positions of the Archons. They acted as legal authorities and as magistrates for public cases as well as any private cases which did not fall under the jurisdiction of the three senior Archons. The Thesmothetai also decided when the jury courts would sit and assigned other officials to cases. This was an important position to hold as the Athenians loved their law-courts. Their legal system was very advanced for the times and contemporary chroniclers refer to the fact that they were very well-known for frequently resorting to the courts over all manner of cases. In fact, it was a point of irritation for many of her subjects in the Empire6, who got sick of being frequently dragged into court.

Hendeka

This means ’eleven’ in Greek, obviously so-named because there were eleven of these officials. They were responsible for deciding on punishments and supervising the running of the state prison.

Strategoi

During the reforms of the Athenian government begun by a man named Cleisthenes, the position of Polemarch became much less important as he introduced the role of the Strategoi. They were a group of ten generals who were elected by the assembly, one man representing each of the ten tribes established by Cleisthenes, into which all Athenian citizens were placed. They took office for one year, but unlike many other official positions, there was no restriction over holding the office on consecutive years. Presumably it was more important to the Athenians to keep successful generals who had proven track records in battle than administrators.

The office of Strategos, and earlier of Polemarch, was extremely important since Greek city-states were often at war with each other. During the fifth century, Athens also fought the Persians and the Syracusans as well as other city-states in Greece such as Sparta, so it was essential that her military commanders were up to the job. It also gave the holder a position of great power and influence in terms of politics. For instance, the great Athenian statesman Pericles was a strategos for many years and this was the basis of much of his power.

Hellenotamiae

This means 'treasurers of the Greeks’. They were responsible for supervising the payment of tribute from the Delian League7 and what it was subsequently spent on. However, they were not responsible to other Delian League members, only to Athenians, who also selected them. This was becasue the Athenians were by far the most powerful state in the League, and over time it turned into a bona-fide Athenian Empire, dominated by Athenian naval power.

1Though not quite in the modern sense of the word.2Also called the Council of 500, of which the main function was to prepare the agenda for the main decision-making group, the Ecclesia. They also dealt with matters when there was no time to call a meeting of the Ecclesia.3Later, though, individual politicians such as Pericles gained more power than the Archons.4Freeborn men over the age of 30 and originally from Athens.5Foreigners living freely in Athens.6See 'Hellenotamiae' section.7An Athenian-led alliance to defend Greeek city-states against the Persians.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A5228615

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more