A Conversation for Judge Dredd - Lawman of the Future

Dinky Toys in the Cursed Earth

Post 1

~TWIsTED~

Can anyone remember the Dinky Toys that were exactly the same as vehicles used in the Cursed Earth saga? As a boy i always wondered how or why they were the same as no metion was made either in 2000AD or on the box the toys came in. Which came first? who coppied who?


Dinky Toys in the Cursed Earth

Post 2

Researcher 215123

I do! I remember finding one in John Menzies in Edinburgh Airport of all places, when I was with my Dad. I couldn't believe it as I was a total 2000AD fanatic and figured I would've known if there was such a thing. Anyway, I wouldn't let him out of the place until it was mine (there was only one in stock) and it was EXACTLY the same vehicle - complete with spring-loaded, six-wheeled scout car and firing missile launcher on the roof of the tracked vehicle. I don't know what happened to it but I'm pretty sure it would be worth a fortune in the original packaging... just like my Space 1999 Eagle, which I still have but not in a 'collectable' condition. If memory serves me, I think it was actually called the "Landcruiser", but I may be wrong. I think it must be considerably rarer than the Dinky "Professionals" Capri models, because the one I owned is the only one I ever saw to this day.


Dinky Toys in the Cursed Earth

Post 3

Researcher 215123

Sorry. I just realised I didn't answer your final question. I can't say for sure who copied who, but I remember well that the Cursed Earth saga had been going for about three months before I saw the toy. There might actually have been a reference to Thompson Publications in the copyright smallprint, but I was about 9 and the box survived a matter of minutes in my excitement. On related matters, about two weeks after I got it, I returned from my gran's to find my Mum had thrown out Issue 1 - 130 of 2000AD!!


Dinky Toys in the Cursed Earth

Post 4

Researcher 215123

After a bit of scouting around, I finally found out the the toy was made by Lesney/Matchbox around 1977. It was called the K2001 Command Raider and was one of 5 or 6 in the 'Adventure 2000' series. It was the only one of the range included in a Dredd/2000AD story, so I reckon the artist at the time just liked the look of it... especially since it came supplied with three silver soldier figures in the box! Very rare now apparently. Anyway, If you fancy a jog down memory lane there are some pics of it here:

http://www.shabbir.com/matchbox/picgall/picks.html

Enjoy.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more