A Conversation for Kingsland Road, Dalston, Hackney, London, UK

Ridley Road Market

Post 1

Researcher 193228

This tantalising market deep in the real east end of london is an absolute must for all market lovers. Yes sure, the market is entirely rough around the edges but the atmosphere is pure carnival. I used to work here as a kid at my dad's fish shop when, to be fair, there was a much more jewish influence in the market. Today that influence can still be observed by the 24hour Ridley Road bagel firm near KIngsland Road. Trade in those days [mid 1970s] was very busy indeed. We could be pulling stalls out in the driving rain yet the atmosphere of the traders was always very special.

I visited the market recently and all of the old memories came to me. Dalston Cross shopping centre is a new edition to the area and I was sad to see that Cooke's pie and eel shop has shut. The unique and almost mysterious feature of the market is still those funny lock up shops running the full length of the market. They are an absolute treasure trove of different consumables for sale and that mystique is still there after my 25 year absence. My one point to note is that despite it being a Saturday when I visited the market I have to admit that it did not feel as busy as when I remember it. Th inactivity at a number of the fish stalls and shops was only too evident of this sad fact.

Market traders in Ridley and across the country deserve far more respect and recognition for the tireless work they do to provide cheap food and consumables to local people. Ridley Road is still a strong market place and in my opinion is just as much of a spectacle as is the more glamourous Brixton market in South London. My only hope is that Hackney Council truly recognise Ridley's value in the continuous regeneration and evolution of the Dalston area.

My dad left the market years ago and had stalls in Queen's market, Upton Park and in Walthamstow.

He retired from the retail fish industry in the 1990s.

My Story and thoughts. Happy shopping to you all.


Key: Complain about this post

Ridley Road Market

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more