A Conversation for Kingsland Road, Dalston, Hackney, London, UK

My end of the High Street

Post 1

Live "Yogi" Culture

It is a special road isn't it? A direct line into the City as the crow flies, but not as the car drives. The Stokey end has a great little one-way race track past and around Stoke Newington Common; one-way roads suddenly becoming two-way half way up can lead to some interesting swervy encounters on a dozy Sunday morning bike ride.
I've discovered a couple of other quirks whilst living just off the High Street on the Clapton side. Firstly, this road is the actual dividing (straight) line between East and North London. Perhaps it's less pronounced these days but you can still feel the house prices and rents getting silly as you cross the road to visit the Bar Lorca or The Vortex. Also, we seem to sit astride the Inner/Outer London divide as well as the East/West divide. We have an 020(7) number and an 020(8) number in the same house! (I do Yoga so I find it possible to "sit astride" without to much personal discomfort)


Key: Complain about this post

My end of the High Street

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more