A Conversation for Films Based on Books

Nabokov

Post 1

rhoganjosh

What do you mean, Nabokov never wanted to publish Lolita??


Nabokov

Post 2

Amanda

Sorry for the late reply. You are correct-- that was not worded properly, and should have read "nearly didn't get published" considering the trials and tribulations of American rejection, publishing 'Lolita' (supposedly unwittingly) through a book house infamous for its production of pornography, the blacklisting of 'Lolita' by the French government and the British and American customs offices, etc. Certainly Nabokov was fed up with the mess by the end of it, and said so many times. But I'm sure he wouldn't have gone through the trouble of seeing 'Lolita' become a success had he not wanted it published.

Your correction is duly noted, thank you.


Nabokov

Post 3

Researcher 211402

I would like to know how you, Amanda, are so sure Nabokov would "have gone through the trouble of seeing 'Lolita' become a success" as well as how you know he was "fed up" with anything, much less with the trials and tribulations that he had to go through seeing Lo published and made into a rather good film?

You should check the following web sites as you'll be surprised at the wealth of accurate information you can find:

http://www.libraries.psu.edu/iasweb/nabokov/nsintro.htm
http://www.fulmerford.com/waxwing/nabokov.html


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more