A Conversation for Great Walks

The Slim Buttes

Post 1

Silicon Wolverine

The Slim Buttes (pronounced like buets) is a small range of limestone hills in north western south dakota. THere is over 1000 acres of coniferous trees, limestone cliffs, and several hidden lakes that are absolutly teeming with excellent trout. The only way through the hills is by all terrain vehicles of four-wheel drive trucks. Forest service fire trails are the only roads present. Although there is no prepared camping places or facilities one gets the full effect of "roughing it" in the wild. a firewood permit is required to cut wood and fires are allowed only when the fire danger index is below the high catgory otherwise there are no restrictions. I have spent innumberable weekends driving the trails in my fathers pick-up or riding my dirt bike. 300-odd miles of trails criss-cross the hills and are great for off roading. Almost every year since i can remember my family has gone to these hills to cut a live tree for christmas. It is one of few times our family can be toghter as a whole. It is truly a "great walk"


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more