A Conversation for Internet Dating Pages

Important: Meeting Up

Post 1

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Always, always meet first in a public place where there are plenty of people around. And always tell someone close to you where you are going and when you plan to be back. If you stay longer than expected, you can always call your friend or family member to let them know. If you don't tell anyone where you are going, it will be that much longer before anyone worries about you.

For women dating men, I also have additional recommendations. Arrange your own transportation to and from the meet. Think twice before getting in your date's car, telling them where you are staying, or giving them your real phone number. And substitute a fake phone number or address if they get pushy and you don't feel comfortable with them.

All this sounds harsh, but it is really only common sense. Remember that no matter how many emails you have shared, you are still on a blind date with someone who was not recommended to you by a friend. Your job is to find out whether they are really as nice in person as they seemed online. Don't blow it by being overconfident.

If the person you are dating is worthwhile, they will be understanding about your 'extra precautions.' If they question your concern, joke and tell them you are just protecting *their* best interests by setting up some mutually binding rules. You could turn out to be a stalker, after all. smiley - winkeye If they continue to push for greater access to you after you make this statement, end the meeting and call your friend.

All this stuff goes for regular dating service meets also. But I mention it here particularly because some internet dating sites don't offer practical advice. Also, stalkers and sexual con men often gravitate to the internet because you can create fake identities and/or abuse privacy controls to avoid prosecution.


Important: Meeting Up

Post 2

Kadu Flyer

All sound advice. Always go prepared to make friends but be ready to walk out, ask for help or lie, if you feel threatened in any way, or if your date has been obviously telling total lies to u via email.

Kadu


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more