A Conversation for Aquavit

Aquavit a warning

Post 1

Richard

Sorry I know Aquavit is a Scandinavian tradition, I want to warn all non Scandiavians. This stuff was the second worst drink I have ever tasted. The worst being Gammel Dansk.
I was given it with a traditional Christmas meal. The only thing it did was remove the tastebuds from my mouth, while stripping away the layor of fat that comes with the meal.


Aquavit a warning

Post 2

SchrEck Inc.

Hey Richard,

it surely helps if you've grown up with Aquavit and Gammel Dansk, respectively. It very much depends on what you're used to... for example, on top of my list of the worst drinks is the coffee you get on the British Isles. smiley - winkeye

SchrEck Inc.


Aquavit a warning

Post 3

Richard

True.. Thats why I don't drink a lot of coffee. There is one place you can get good coffee (if it is still there) mcbeans in Aberdeen. roasted their own beans... mmmmmmm Java Blue mountain..


Aquavit a warning

Post 4

SimplesOfTheMoon

As I am Norwegian, I feel obligated to tell you this: Not all Norwegian like Aquavit. Actually, very few do. It's not supposed to taste good, you're just supposed to get drunk fairly quickly. There IS a reason why Norwegians limit the drinking of aquavit to once a year, although I can not justify why it is Christmastime, one should think we wanted to enjoy that... Getting drunk can also be achieved by other, and more tasty, means, such as tequila (if you chose the right brand, it's actually good; Mexican style that is, not the way tourists think they're supposed to drink it - it's such a pathetic gimmick style. Whiskey - yes with the "e" - is also recommendable. Make sure it's Irish, and make sure it's good, or else you might get a nasty surprise...


Aquavit a warning

Post 5

MartheFrosk

Of course, not all Norwegians like Aquavite/Akevitt. Still, we are obliged to drink it every christmas. This is a very strange, Norwegian think. Children hates the drink, but still feel awfully proud when they are given a sip (tablespoon or a teaspoon) in their glass every christmas. I even know a family who doesn't like the drink, and still buys a bottle to drink during christmas.

But I prefere it before tequila.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more