A Conversation for Public Transport in Munich, Germany

Update...

Post 1

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

The MVV has changed the software in the newer S-Bahn trains: Since recently, the electronic displays *do* show the name of the next station to arrive at smiley - smiley


Update...

Post 2

Acheron

If its the same ticket the weekend ticket is now 40dm.


Update...

Post 3

chaos

Hi Bossel,

I noticed you are back in business - your entries (and discussions?) appearing on the front page again smiley - smiley
btw: I really think this is a very helpful entry for visitors.

cu,
Sascha


Update...

Post 4

owlmeister

We have been to Munich several time as my daughter and her family live there. We love the public transport system, found it easy to understand and cheap and very clean. The toilets are a bit dire though except for a very clean one in the Hauptbahnhof.

A 3day Partner ticket which covers five people anywhere in Munich and cost the same as 3 return tickets for one person to our local town. The people of Munich seem much more prepared to leave their bikes and cars at outlying stations and use public transport in the town. I didn't see the same traffic congestion as I have seen in English towns but I was only a tourist and it is easy to get a false impression.

I liked the article and wish that I had been able to read it before going. I will recommend it to any one else visiting Munich.


Update...

Post 5

owlmeister

Forgot to say my daughter only had her ticket checked once in six months and we were checked twice in one week one one holiday and twice in one day on the next so it is very random. Warnings about ticket evasion are printed in several languages including English and the inspectors have heard all the excuses before.


Update...

Post 6

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Glad you liked it smiley - smiley

I didn't have the chance to compare Munich with London and New York when the entry was written, but I've been there in the meantime and collected further ideas for another update. The basic line is that the MVV most prominent advantage is that it's so much younger, that is to say they obviously learned from the experience the other systems have made. For example, the tunnels are wider, and underground stations have more space and are better illuminated which gives a more comfortable feeling. In comparison, the NYC system shows all its intestines (cables, hoses, tubes, wires and the like), and the noise of the express trains rushing by on the third pair tracks is something to get used to. London underground is hot and sticky (ok, I was there in July), but you won't hear of people passing out from the sheer heat in the tunnel.

Well, I'll have to continue later smiley - smiley


Update...

Post 7

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

(oops, this might become a double posting, the server didn't connect)

Glad you liked it smiley - smiley

I didn't have the chance to compare Munich with London and New York when the entry was written, but I've been there in the meantime and collected further ideas for another update. The basic line is that the MVV most prominent advantage is that it's so much younger, that is to say they obviously learned from the experience the other systems have made. For example, the tunnels are wider, and underground stations have more space and are better illuminated which gives a more comfortable feeling. In comparison, the NYC system shows all its intestines (cables, hoses, tubes, wires and the like), and the noise of the express trains rushing by on the third pair of tracks is something to get used to. London underground is hot and sticky (ok, I was there in July), but you won't hear of people passing out from the sheer heat in the tunnels of Munich.

Well, I'm going to continue later smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Public Transport in Munich, Germany

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more