A Conversation for How to Play the Recorder

How to Play the Recorder

Post 1

redeggs

I am learning to play a plastic descant recorder. The tone I produce varies from ok to a horrible screech. I don't know how I should hold it - straight out in front or downwards or somewhere inbetween - so far nothing produces a consistent sound and fingers do not feel comfortable. Biggest problem is breathing - how, nose or mouth, how often? Help!


How to Play the Recorder

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Hold the recorder so that it is about half way between straight across and straight down, so that it is pointing downward at an angle of 45 degrees.

The horible screeches tend to be because you are blowing too hard. You'll need practice at blowing steadily but softly. Don't be discouraged.

Breathe in through your mouth while playing the recorder, in big gulps, as often as necessary.


How to Play the Recorder

Post 3

redeggs

That's great - thanks for the advice - I shall persevere!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more