A Conversation for How to Play the Recorder

left-handed

Post 1

missmia246

I want to teach my son to play the recorder but he is left-handed.
Should he use his right hand instead of the left to make the b, a, c, & g notes?


left-handed

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

He should play it exactly the same way as a right-handed person, with his left hand for the b,a, c and g notes. Later on, he'll need to use his left hand for the low note, because the holes at the bottom are turned to the side and can't be played with the wrong hand.


left-handed

Post 3

missmia246

Thank you,smiley - biggrin but can't the bottom part of the recorder be turned to either side?


left-handed

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm afraid not. The bottom two fingers cover two holes each and they're not exactly the same size - it is essential that you use the correct hand.

This isn't a problem, though. The right and left hands have equal amounts to do, so it shouldn't be any more difficult for a left-hander than for a right-hander.


left-handed

Post 5

missmia246

That make sense! Thank you Now to unlearn smiley - wah How long do you think a 6 year old's practise-session be at a time? Every day?


left-handed

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Ten minutes every day. It's more important that it is every day than exactly how long it is.


left-handed

Post 7

bentley2008

Hi. I am left handed and was bought a penny whistle for Christmas. I have now driven eveyone one insane with my tuneless tooting! However, when I picked up the whistle it was natural for me to have my right hand at the top. I have tried with my left hand at the top and find it almost impossible. It does not feel at all natural. In fact it had been my new years resolution to play a musical instrument, I had hoped to maybe play the recorder, but I think I am going to find it too difficult if I have to reverse my hands. There is a society for lefties, its easy to find on the web. There is an interesting account about left handed childrem and musical instruments.


left-handed

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

I play penny whistle left-handed and recorder right-handed. But I'm right-handed.


left-handed

Post 9

bentley2008

There you have it, left handed people and geniuses!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more