A Conversation for How to Play the Recorder

Good Short Method

Post 1

Researcher 221265

Im a master's student in music education at the University of Miami and im doing my own recorder method book for a project. I have to say that this condensed version is wonderful. In all practicality, you cant just start at the top and go to the bottom in one day and be a professional, but everything you need to know is there. Im actually modeling some of my explanations on the clarity of the ones here, like when it talks about care and maintennance. I had no idea that that little flat thing was called a labium! Good job!


Good Short Method

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks! smiley - ok


Amazing!

Post 3

BillyNelhams

This guide is utterly amazing, I read it, understood it, picked up an old recorded and was playing like a pro.

*****


Good Short Method

Post 4

virtualzo0m

I actually fin your post slightly offensive. You're perpetuating the stereotype that the recorder is struggling tirelessly to get away from: that it is a simplistic instrument and takes no skill to learn. People can play their entire lives and never achieve virtuosity on this instrment.

I'm surprised that you consider yourself enough of an expert to write a book on recorder technique, yet do not know the basic parts of the instruments. I hope you research carefully so that no one is misled.


Good Short Method

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I didn't write a book on recorder technique. This is a guide for beginners. If I have made any mistakes, please point them out and I will correct them.


Good Short Method

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I said, "The recorder is an instrument that is quite easy to play although, like any other instrument, it takes practice to play it well." This is true, and many expert recorder players would agree with me. Are you a player yourself?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more