Tech-no-Babble

0 Conversations

The Technology of wide bandwidth digital is hitting the UK Market. Checkout the two main contenders at this stage.

Will BT Win The Price War?

BT has announced its new wide bandwidth service to be started this summer - They are advertising a starting price of £39.99 a month and free installation if booked by June 2000. A multi-user service to companies will be £99.99 per month. The prices are for 1 computer and up to 4 respectively although there is no reason why more than 1 computer cannot be connected by cables, giving the ability to serve as many computers as you wish. This will of course slow the 10 times faster action of a digital connection.


Has TELEWEST Got There First?

Telewest has introduced their digital service, BlueYonder, and claim that some areas will have it now. Their price starts at £50 a month, £10 more than BT but if it is
available now, then there will be no shortage of takers.


DVD Deceased


The hightech of DVD is soon to be challenged by, of all people, the Chinese. They are about to give the Americans and Japanese a bloody nose. On Sky Technofile they announced the coming of a £400 Recordable Video CD Machine. Bob Tomalski gave
Technofile a world exclusive: a prototype Video CD machine that can record over an hour of high quality video and audio onto a normal CD-R disc. When the machine is released, later this year, it'll mean you'll be able to play DVD discs, and time-shift programmes off the TV in the same machine... could this mean Recordable DVD machines are dead in the water? The machine will be made by 'Mico', a Chinese firm. It's not available in the UK.


DVD Machine Which Has It All


Playing Cd's from different parts of the world has been a problem. Buying a cheaper disk from the states would not do anyone in the EC any good, cos it wouldn't play. Now here is a machine that plays em all. This is also from the Chinese, the Mico DVD-A980 plays discs from any region, and features a built-in Dolby Digital decoder. The machine can also play MP3 discs, and is CD-R compatible.


Personal Voice Assistant

Tom Houy, from IBM has shown a prototype of IBM's first palm-top computer that you can talk to... Yep it recognises voice comands, there are only four in the world at the moment - but be prepared to see them on the High Street soon!


Voice Recorder

Olympus show off their latest solid state voice recorder. It's designed to replace the dictaphone, and 8 Megabytes of on-board memory can record 90 minutes of audio, in an ergonomic palm-sized machine.


If you have any news of new technology and feel it worth a mention in the next article then email your findings and any associated website to vegiman.


Vegiman


01.05.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A505045

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more