A Conversation for Best Places to View a Rocket Launch

Viewing launches

Post 1

Bluebottle

Good article - but if you want to view an ESA launch or a launch by any other nation, ie Russia, China, Japan, Great Britain, France etc... where would you go?

<BB<


Viewing launches

Post 2

Researcher 26432

For the ESA try Kourou, French Guyana


Viewing launches

Post 3

Spaceechik, Typomancer


Not all NASA launches are out of Florida. There are a number of satellites and exploratory spacecraft (from JPL)launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base (also refered to as Western Spaceport). Launches from there can be seen all over Southern California; the bigger vehicles, like Titan II or Deltas (forget the vehicle number) can be seen from Arizona, depending when they launch. We had a considerable number of launches when the Iridium communications network of 80 satellites was launched a couple of years ago. There were launches (of 5 satellites at a time) about once a month. Not as impressive as the Shuttle, which I have yet to see, but still inspiring.

Sea Launch, (which is a commercial vehicle and launch platform system run jointly by the U.S. and Russia), combines an oceangoing drilling platform modified into a launch platform, with a Russian launch vehicle. Their home port is in Long Beach, CA. They launch out in the ocean off of Hawaii at the equator, to give them the maximum advantage of range. Not easy to see though, unless you live in Hawaii! (Don't I wish!)

There's a race on tonight (Jan. 8), between Ariane and Sea Launch as to which will have the first launch of the New Millenium. Ariane will be first, if they don't have a hold and miss their launch window, with Sea Launch taking off a mere 87 minutes later!


Viewing launches

Post 4

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Oops! Make that 27 minutes apart! Just checked my facts at UniverseToday.com .


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more