A Conversation for Piers of the West Wight, Isle of Wight, UK

West Wight Piers

Post 1

Bluebottle

Just letting those interested know more up-to-date information on Totland Pier:
[url removed by moderator]
The Isle of Wight County Press reports how the pier was "lit from end to end with the latest in creative lighting technology from artist Tracey Dear."

<BB<


West Wight Piers

Post 2

SallyM

Hello Bluebottle

Was wondering if a mention of the community contribution to the yarmouth pier (didn't they all pay for a plank on the pier?), they do have names on each one. Surely this rebuilding should be on the timeline on the first page?

Just been to the old gaffers this year and walked along the pier, the pic brings back nice memories of having chips in the hut at the end.

Am about to spend the summer working in Specsavers in Newport. Will be living in Island Harbour Marina, so will have to find internet access at some point, haven't the faintest idea where.

I had wondered why the only entries on the iow were about the piers. Maybe I'll have to write entries on eye anatomy at some point.

SallyM smiley - smiley


West Wight Piers

Post 3

Bluebottle

It's true that there was a large community contribution to Yarmouth Pier with the fund-raising "sponsor a plank" - quite impressive, really. If I lived in Yarmouth I'd have hours of fun seeing all my neighbours names whilst walking on the pier!
If you were at the Old Gaffers, and saw the "Isle of Wight Rifles Living History Society", that was started by my Dad. He was there smiley - winkeye

You can see a fairly complete list of Isle of Wight articles here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/C546
except for the one about doughnuts - and my latest articles, which are about the Island during Anglo-Saxon times. I'm glad you've enjoyed reading them. smiley - biggrin

<BB<


West Wight Piers

Post 4

SallyM

Sorry missed that bit I think. I went to the Old Gaffers on the friday and had a great time (and danced with my fella for the first time.)

SallyM smiley - smiley


West Wight Piers

Post 5

SallyM

Sorry missed that bit I think. I went to the Old Gaffers on the friday and had a great time (and danced with my fella for the first time.)

SallyM smiley - smiley


West Wight Piers

Post 6

Bluebottle

As long as you had a good time - that's the main thing. smiley - smiley

<BB<


West Wight Piers

Post 7

Researcher 227232

Hi, I live in Totland and more or less grew up here. I also (briefly) worked in the "Totland Pier Cafe" last Summer. Just a litle extra info for you. The cafe section of the Pier is now owned separatly to the main section of the Pier by a man by the name of "Tom" who lives localy, sory I don't know his surname (he never told me!). The Main section of the Pier is now owned by a local artist by the name of Derick - and I'm not sure of the surname here either but I think it's - "Banister". If you'd like I can wander down that way tommorow and ask.


West Wight Piers

Post 8

Researcher 227232

Just remmembered the Artist/Owners name is Derick Barren, never know your luck I might remmember "Toms'" surname in a minet!


West Wight Piers

Post 9

Bluebottle

Sounds like you had quite a nice job - certainly a better view than from my office. Did you remember Tom's name?

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Piers of the West Wight, Isle of Wight, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more