Elian Gonzalez

0 Conversations

Elian Gonzales, a six-year-old Cuban boy, and his mother were on a raft, heading for the United States on Thanksgiving. Elian made it to U.S. shores in Florida. His mother died on the voyage. His father wants him back in Cuba, but the U.S. government wants to keep him with his relatives in Miami, and out of the clutches of the Communist government of Cuba.

The U.S. and Cuba are in a struggle over where the boy belongs. The States say he belongs with his relatives in a Democratic country. Cuba says he belongs with his immediate family in Cuba, regardless of the party running the country. Hundreds of protestors from both sides have gone to Cuba.

Some say the choice is up to the boy. This, however, could potentially be a bad decision for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the boy is only six years old.

Six-year-olds are not capable of making such large decisions. Secondly, the boy's relatives in Miami have been pampering him with gifts and even took him to Disney world. From the view of a six-year-old, there's no reason to go back to Cuba if you're getting showered with gifts in the States!

Others say that the decision is up to his grandparents. That decision, however, would also be biased, since the grandparents would almost definitely favour the boy's father.


The Cheese


17.01.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A487712

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more