A Conversation for The Story of Cement

Well worth the wait

Post 1

Wand'rin star

Now at last we know what all those scattered hints were leading up to. You're right:it is fascinatingsmiley - star


Well worth the wait

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Well done, Pheroneous!


Well worth the wait

Post 3

Phil

Fascinating old chap.


Well worth the wait

Post 4

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Bravo! More! A definitive article on the subject. An example to all who would offer permanent entries for the Guide.


Well worth the wait

Post 5

Pheroneous

Awww! Stop it, you're making me blush!


Well worth the wait

Post 6

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Well that shut them Pheroneous.
You can stop blushing now.
Fame is fleeting.
Thank god for the permanence of cement.
Since we seem to have this space to ourselves perhaps you will tell me more about your life in cement. As a builder of mortar-less rock walls - this is not a paying job but more than a hobby for me, well OK an obsessive physical/spiritual outlet - I have had mixed (ignore pun) feelings about cement. I know and believe that a rock wall must be able to stand under its own weight (and friction). Mortar is used by many rockwall builders to hide their deficiencies. But it can be used effectively to enhance the pattern.. I just know that to learn as much about cement as I do about rocks would take me another half of a lifetime.. but I've always wanted to dabble (pun intended that time).


Well worth the wait

Post 7

Phil

johnwfoulton13, I've met at least one other dry stone waller in my travels through H2G2. Not sure if she's still active or not though.
Technoyokel is the name to search for.
Phil


Well worth the wait

Post 8

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I posted a very long reply here but god deleted it. In brief it said Thanks. I will look for her.


Well worth the wait

Post 9

Pheroneous

I am not, as it happens, particularly interested in 'cement' if by that you mean the grey Portland Cement, but in Natural Cement, briefly mentioned in the entry. This is an intriguing material that is halfway between modern cements and Lime. A Natural Cement is a Limestone that is crushed, heated and ground, and thats all, nothing added, nothing extracted. The fortuitous balance of chemicals within the stone happens to make a good cement. My particular one is extremely fast setting, and almost as strong as Portland, but there are a few others around. I can do no more than point you to my website where further info awaits. In fact, come 01/01/01 I am setting out on my own, dealing exclusively with this material (I hope that means you will see much less of me around here). I cannot myself see the disadvantage in using mortar in dry stone walling, but that probably makes me a heathen! An advantage with 'my' cement is that you can have a very quick set, thus use it almost like glue.


Well worth the wait

Post 10

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

01/01/01...when you put it like that. New beginnimngs indeed!
My experience is that many builders use too much concrete, and I find the rough industrial grades are not very pleasing. The problem in walls is that most use too much and don't point it well and don't clean up the faces with muriatic acid... I guess my problem there is more with shoddy workmanship than the material itself, although most industrial strength mixes I see are not very 'natural'. Few tradesmen here bother to colour the mix with the right stonedust or sand to compliment the rock. The finding, hauling and heating of natural limestone really does sound fascinating (I am a rockhound!)and I am going to check out your site. peace.


Key: Complain about this post