A Conversation for Essential Items to Take on Holiday

Substitute Money.

Post 1

Fat Mike

Whilst travelling through some of the more rural areas of Tanzania and Kenya I found that Biros are a superb bargaining tool. Normal Bic biros like you get in packs of fifty can be used to great effect haggling the price of anything.

I was also offered a giant giraffe wood carving for my baseball cap.

There must be many things that are cheap and freely available in the West that can be used in this way, any ideas?


Substitute Money.

Post 2

Ashley



Socks - for three pairs of black socks I got a carved Hippo, a henna tattoo and a coconut drink.

Having done this, I did feel incredibly guilty - after all, the socks cost me next to nothing and the stuff I got in return was most probably worth more than my crusty socks...


Substitute Money.

Post 3

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Porno magazines used to be excellent barter, at least in Communist countries.

Alcohol is also a universal currency. If you're on a sailboat with lots of beer, and you ever come across a ship from a fishing fleet, you can probably get some nice nautical souvenirs in trade.


Substitute Money.

Post 4

Fat Mike

I would expect that carrying quantities of porn around to barter with is going to cause more problems than it solves smiley - smiley

I found that having an English accent sometimes gets you a discount at hotdog vans in Toronto.


Substitute Money.

Post 5

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

The porno trick works best with border guards, so you can beat a clear retreat if it blows up in your face.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more