A Conversation for Central Massachusetts, USA

The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 1

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

The article defines "Central Massachusetts" as six cities and towns near the center of the state. A more common definition includes all of Worcester County, which contains about a hundred towns (and is larger than Rhode Island).

But, in defense of the author, the six towns selected are a good sample of the whole. One could pick Worcester and almost any other five towns, and get a good sample. The cities and towns of Central Massachusetts fall into roughly three categories:

1. Semi-decrepit old factory cities, which have never been quite the same since water power went out of style. There are about six of these, of which Worcester is an example. While it has a lot of attractions, it has a lot of slums too.

2. Suburbs. If you see one suburb, you've seen them all. There are again about six of these, of which Paxton is a good example.

3. Bucolic country towns, generally with one stoplight or less. Many of these towns are suitable for campouts, gun clubs, recreational boating on lakes, and other outdoor activities. This is roughly the rest of Central Massachusetts.


The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 2

Arthur Dent

I wanted to reply directly to the article, but, though registered, I was told I needed to register to post a reply to the article. I was, however, permitted to post a reply to the reply. Go figure.

Given the fascinating history and culture of this area, I found this article woefully inadequate. Just a hair better than "mostly harmless." Apart from being generally disappointed, I have one specific contention.

The author specifically recommends shoppers go to Greendale Mall. Yes, Best Buy is there. Otherwise, there would be no reason at all to visit. Unfortunately, Best Buy spends more on security than they do on knowledgeable salespeople or capable cashiers. If you know what you want and where to find it, you can do well there. Just prepare yourself to wait quite a while in line before you can pay for the item, and be careful not to do anything suspicious!

The author also urges you to avoid the Worcester Common Outlets. I'm sorry, but while not Mall of America, WCO hosts some of my favorite stores, and offers some real bargains. Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Sports Authority, Software, Etc, Vanity Fair, Media Play, and others offer both outlet savings on imperfect, dated, or overstock merchandise as well as fair prices on current, market-rate items.

The author makes no mention of the historical influence of this region. He doesn't mention that the smiley face, the diner car, the rocket, the birth control pill, the monkey wrench, Abbie Hoffman, and Denis Leary, all originated here. He doesn't mention the American Antiquarian Society, nor the Higgins Armory Museum, nor the Worcester Horticultural Society.

So while I'm grateful that the Central Massachusetts entry is a bit more generous than "mostly harmless," I urge h2g2 to seek to expand the entry to more accurately and comprehensively describe the region!

-Dent smiley - zen


The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 3

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

I felt more or less the same way about the entry. The author shows a great love for a certain area of six towns northwest of Worcester, and some opinions which I don't quite share about downtown Worcester.

But I think the proper reaction is, to write a counter-article. I've submitted one on the Blackstone Valley. You seem qualified to write one on Worcester itself.


The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 4

Arthur Dent

Perhaps that will be my next effort. I just responded to the Smiley article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A155909). They start by saying they don't know where the smiley originated, I respond by pointing out that it originated in Worcester, MA!! smiley - smiley

I think I'll do that. I wasn't born here, so I have something of an outsider's perspective deep in memory, and I've lived here for nearly twenty years, so I kind of know my way around. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am very new here, so let me tell you how I perceive things and you can tell me if I'm on the right track... As I start, I'll work on it in my personal space. People such as yourself may find it and offer comments and suggestions, but I'm not presenting it as a potential article yet. When I feel it's somewhat complete and polished, I'll bring it up in Peer Review... Is that about how it works? I've been looking around a bit, but haven't gotten everywhere yet...

-Dent smiley - zen


The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 5

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

You might as well work on your new article separate from your personal space. People won't review it unless you submit it to Peer Review. If you accidentally submit your personal space to Peer Review, reviewers will give you rude comments.

Aside from that, you're on the right track. If you'd like some comments before Peer Review, you can submit an article to Writer's Workshop. But comments I get there are usually of the form, "Why are you hiding your article *here*?"


The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 6

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

And guess from who these comments are, and why they sound like that smiley - winkeye Quality pays off! I've started a habit to check your personal space for new entries, just in case I miss them again. Just so happened with the posting for the Blackstone Valley entry which you must have pre-aged and slipped into the Peer Review. There's no other explanation smiley - smiley


The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 7

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

Thanks for the kind words. Flattery in the review process pays off too; I hope to have at least one entry in the slideway from Peer Review to the Edited Guide at all times.


The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 8

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

smiley - blush

smiley - smiley


The Rest of Central Massachusetts, USA

Post 9

Arthur Dent

Well, as I start putting things together I think I'd best stay in my personal space. Once I have a bit of coherence, I'll put it into Peer Review. I feel the need to get a number of threads started uo before it will really be ready for outside input. I would urge anyone who has a special interest in the topic to keep an eye on my personal space for the next few weeks...

-Dent smiley - zen


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Central Massachusetts, USA

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more