Talking Point: Alcohol and Alcohol Abuse

8 Conversations

Three glasses of beer

Alcohol is one of the most freely available drugs in society. It's one of the most popular, too. While it seems that the range of newly marketed and smartly packaged non-alcoholic drinks increases, a new wave of alcoholic drinks aimed at younger people has appeared.

The first recorded case of the production of alcohol comes from Egyptian records of 3,500BC, so it appears that drinking alcohol is as old as civilization itself. Traditionally booze has played a central role in cultural and religious events, and it's this ritualism that carries through to the Friday night drinking session at your local pub: bearing as it does a striking similarity to the Bacchanalian drinking rites of the Ancient World.

Many of us enjoy a drink. However, the devastating effects of alcoholism (as in actual dependence on alcohol as distinct from drinking socially or even regularly) take over the lives of the alcoholics themselves, and their friends and family.

There is hope though. The Centre for Recovery and Alcoholics Anonymous are two organisations who help everybody affected by alcoholism.

So, what are your views on alcohol?

  • At what age should you allow your child to have his or her first drink?
  • At what age should it be legal to buy alcohol?
  • Are alcopops the drinks industry's way of targeting young people?
  • Should the legal limit for driving be zero?
  • Should British pub opening hours be extended to match our European neighbours?
  • When does social drinking become a problem?
  • What should you do if you think a friend is drinking too heavily?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A448544

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more