A Conversation for A History of Modern and Extinct Celtic Languages

Cymru Cymraeg

Post 21

swansea_jackette

Most definately, us cottage-burning witches (welsh nationalists) are the worst. Although, living in Swansea there aren't very many cottages to burn.

The English scum that run our country are trying to kill the Welsh language, but failing miserably. Even when they try to close our schools etc. etc. HAHAHAHA WE WIN!


Cymru Cymraeg

Post 22

EwenMc

I notice you posted in English, not yr hen iaith. How ironic is that?

I've no problem with pride in our country, but when you veer into slagging off other nationalities you crash headlong into racism.


Cymru Cymraeg

Post 23

AndyDog - The Frood Dude, with a towel

Ewen,

The Moderators tend top get a bit bit cheesed off if you post in a language other than English. We got into a spot of bother on the ScrumV area of BBC sport for posting in Welsh as the Mods couldn't translate it, there was a bit of a barney about not being able to post in Welsh, but as they pointed out the BBC Cymru welsh language board had been closed due to lack of postings so there wasn't that much call for posting in Welsh.

The point being that English is the common language of the BBCi area and is visited and posted to by peeps all over the world, and posting in anything other than English would be "exclusive" rather than "inclusive".

Just my 2d

Dog


Cymru Cymraeg

Post 24

EwenMc

Fair point. Not sure it's germane, but there you go. My major translation problem is in understanding the correct usage of the phrase 'English scum'. Perhaps if I had a lobotomy I'd see the sense of it...


Cymru Cymraeg

Post 25

AndyDog - The Frood Dude, with a towel

Ewen,
Fair point about the "inflamatory" comment.

But as they say Bigotry is as Bigotry does, or something like that.

I'll admit that during the Thatcher years funding was pulled for the Welsh Language, hence the glaring omission in my education but that was a long time ago, and there ain't nothing no-one can do to change the impact it has had on the generation that went thru it then, We have to get back to school and learn from scratch.

But on a plus side, and this is where I don't understand the closing the schools bit or the kill the welsh language bit, My friends Daughter aged six is learning Welsh in Primary school, in an area not known for its Welsh language, and she is teaching her Welsh Mum and English Dad when she gets home.

So there you go Jackette, the English are being taught Welsh by Stealth!

Dog


Cymru Cymraeg

Post 26

AndyDog - The Frood Dude, with a towel

Ewen /Jackette

Another "minor" point here, if our Jackette is SO Welsh, shouldn't she call herself Abertawe Jackette?

Dog


DIED!!?!? I think not!

Post 27

penbardd

John Davey was a school teacher. His knowledge of Cornish was not enough to describe him as fluent. A Cornish-English dictionary was reprinted by the Cornish Language Board in 1971, Pitman Press. May be of help to some.

I am working on the Breton connection to Insular Celtic regions. www.britt-gwenn-ha-du. Just started. Have more info on the Thirteen Kingdoms of the North (Cumbria) on www.oldtykes.co.uk and would be very pleased to work with anyone on Cornwall and Devon.

Oh yes, my name, John Davey smiley - cheers


DIED!!?!? I think not!

Post 28

paulie075

You're all missing the point completely and this conversation in invalid!! The original article stated that the Cornish language ALMOST died in the 19th century! At no point did the author suggest that the language was dead. Read things properly before starting a rant!


DIED!!?!? I think not!

Post 29

pocketprincess

"The Grav accent is known as a fada. It lengthens the sound of a vowel; a becomes aw, e becomes ey, i becomes ee, o becomes oh (as in go) and u becomes oo. So slan is pronounced slawn. Except in Ulster Irish, where they ignore the fada on the a and say slan"

As an Ulster girl I can tell you we don't ignore the fada, it;s just a slightly softer, subtler pronunciation e.g. not slan (like in slant) but slaan or slahn with the รก pronounced like "ahh cute puppy"

Also grav accent is not (\) it is as demonstrated above (easily achieved by pressing Ctrl and Alt along with the letter as required smiley - smiley


DIED!!?!? I think not!

Post 30

Morria07

They are right, the Irish Gaelic never died...having always had speakers on the western shore (farther away from England's strongest arm)... As to Cornish being taught in schools and being on sign post. SO BE IT! It has worked well in Ireland, just remember the English too for the touriests. ^_^


DIED!!?!? I think not!

Post 31

pocketprincess

Indeed, look at what happened when they tried to change the signposts around Dingle in Kerry to say Daingean smiley - rolleyes Absolute outrage! smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post