A Conversation for The Lady of the Lake

Same lady as in King Arthur fables

Post 1

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Couldn't help thinking this story has incredible similarities to the Legend of King Arthus, who received Excalibur from the "Lady of the Lake".

Are the two connected?


Different lady... different lake

Post 2

$u$

I don't believe there is any connection to the King Arthur stories, other than that this story belongs to that ilk of celtic legends and mysteries which occasionally seem to have some basis in reality.

The physiscians of Myddfai were once renowned in that part of Wales, and could all be traced back to one family line, reputed to stem from the fabled lady of this story. I will be writing more about them and the mysteries of Myddfai in the future, and possibly some of the Arthurian legends too. Any special requests?smiley - smiley

~A~


Different lady... different lake

Post 3

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

I love reading about all kinds of celtic legends. But I still can't shake that feeling that a legend about a lady disappearing and re-emerging from a lake can't be too common, no?

Perhaps they are echoes of each other, when legends get retold and retold throughout the ages, and morph into others...

Also, wasn't Camelot also situated somewere in or near Wales?

(Incidentally, I have read a fiction novel written by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which takes a look at the Arthurian legends from the females' points of view - Gwynnevere, Morgana leFay, etc...it was interesting, although I don't know how reputable her historical facts may have been)


Different lady... different lake

Post 4

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Here's the Amazon.com blurb:

Even readers who don't normally enjoy Arthurian legends will love this version, a retelling from the point of view of the women behind the throne. Morgaine (more commonly known as Morgan Le Fay) and Gwenhwyfar (a Welsh spelling of Guinevere) struggle for power, using Arthur as a way to score points and promote their respective worldviews. The Mists of Avalon's Camelot politics and intrigue take place at a time when Christianity is taking over the island-nation of Britain; Christianity vs. Faery, and God vs. Goddess are dominant themes.


Different lady... different lake

Post 5

$u$

It would be more accurate to say that 'Guinevere' is the Anglo-Saxon spelling of the Welsh name!smiley - winkeye

Camelot and the location of the various Arthurian legends is always hotly debated by historians and local traders! Generally the south-west of England (esp. Cornwall) and Wales are the main areas. If you look at the shape of the land masses, it seems likely that they were joined once, as well as sharing a celtic language.

I know of one legend which says that King Arthur is 'buried' in a cave off the tip of Land's End (on the most south-westerly tip of England), awaiting Guinevere to revive him.

The two 'lady in the lake' legends we have mentioned are only two of several. There is more than one associated with the Arthurian legends. Perhaps there was some dim and distant connection, but those kind of stories were pretty common in days gone by.

I like the sound of that book. Might have to read it!smiley - smiley

~A~


Different lady... different lake

Post 6

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Common? You mean ladies used to just appear out of lakes all over the place willy nilly? Old timers used to sit around on logs and say "Not a patch on the ladies that appeared out of lakes in my day..." kind of thing?

LOL

smiley - smiley


Different lady... different lake

Post 7

$u$

Or is that just a flight of fancy?smiley - bigeyes

Perhaps if old occupations such as shepherding were still common, the sightings (by shepherds with time to sit and stare absently at a lake) would still be common today.smiley - winkeye

~A~


Different lady... different lake

Post 8

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Definitely

Same as the sightings in Loch Ness of the upturned branches?

smiley - winkeye

(And flights of fancy are so fun...)


Different lady... different lake

Post 9

star of taliesin

Greetings all, Well Met,

Seems like I am not the only one who was a bit suprised to read your legend under the heading :" Lady of the Lake"...smiley - winkeye
To us, who follow the path of the Ancient Ways of the Celts (i.e. the Celtic Paganpath), The Lady Nimue is the Lady of the Lake. The first under the ladies on the sacred Island of Avalon. As Morgana LaFaye, Nimue (to most better known as Vivianne) to the Celts is a deity and therefor triune (triune or triple deities always have been a trademark of the Celtic filosophies).
There are indeed many legends and myths about Ladies of Lakes...smiley - smiley Not that they "pop-up willy-nilly" *giggle, loved the way that was put...smiley - smiley* , but within many a mythological structure A "Lady of the Lake" appeared and was revered and/or worshipped.
Good examples you may enjoy are: the waternymphs who gave a magickal sword to the Greek hero Theseus (rather similar to our own Arthurian legend isn't it? smiley - smiley), The Roman Goddess Sulla, who gave her name to Aqua Sullis (we now know it as Bath) and who was worshipped as the deity of the water, La Belle Dame, a lady emerging from a lake at Brocéliande forest in Bretagne (France)) and of course our own Lady Nimue, student of the Merlyn and chieflady of Avalon....but there are many more.
As to the whereabouts of Avalon...there are as many theories as there are people, but Glastonburry is a very popular opinion.

With all due respect to Marion Zimmer Bradley, I have enjoyed reading "The Mysts of Avalon" very much. It is a very nice fictional novel, and only that: fictional. The stories behind the women in the book, wither it be Morgana,Morgause,Guinevere or any of the other women, their history goes back to a time long before Arthur.
Guinevere for instance: Gwenhwyfar/Gwenhwvar (White Phantom) Welsh counterpart and possible antecedent to Arthur's Guinevere. Severeal commentators have suggested that Gwenhwyfar is philologically related to the Irish Finnabair (the daughter of Maeva,Queen of Connacht. Recommended reading : The Cattleraid of Cooley, Mabinogion).[source:Dictionary of Celtic Mythology,James MacKillop,Oxford University Press].
A site you may enjoy in this context is The Celtic Whispers.
http://www.taliesin.clara.net/index.html In the context of this conversation I would suggest the pages on "Celtic Women".

There is by no means any criticism meant by my comments; I did enjoy your entry a lot; merely wanted to give some information on other Ladies of the Lake...smiley - smileysmiley - smiley

Brightest Blessings,
Star*


Key: Complain about this post